GUILD CE-100DP & T100

weibassist

Reaction score
i am a jazz player , could anyone give some suggestions if i need to buy to buy one between CE-100DP & T100 ?

thanks!

Reaction score
I'm not a real expert , but having owned a T-100 and played a Ce-100, I'd say neither :( My personal opinion is that they are great blues or R & R sounding guitars.

Squawk

Reaction score
I agree with old crow. How much are you looking to spend?

weibassist

Reaction score
Squawk said:
I agree with old crow. How much are you looking to spend?

maybe 1500 USD ,somebody wants to sell his 1961 CE-100DP FOR 1400,
DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS GOOD DEAL?

teleharmonium

Reaction score
I get a jazz sound from the neck Franz pickup on my '60 T 100 string with flatwound strings, which makes me very happy.

I would say either one would work well so long as you are using flats, but the deeper bodied CE model would be the more traditional choice.

I also have another T100 with the thin single coils ("Mickey Mouse pickups") which also gets a nice jazz sound on the neck pickup. With heavier strings and the original wooden bridge, you might be surprised how loud a model T100 is, played acoustically.

I wouldn't trade the jazz sound I get with any of my single coil pickup Guilds, for the sound one gets from a Gibson mudbucker. The Franz pickups are especially nice sounding. It's a common misconception that tight, defined, pronounced bass comes from higher output pickups - quite the contrary, the lower the output of a pickup, the more highs and lows it has, and the fewer mids. As you add windings, you change the tone toward a concentration in the midrange. This is why, for example, the very same Rickenbacker toaster pickup, having a a moderate output level by modern standards, can produce the characteristic chimey highs in their guitars and deep bass in the neck position of their older or reissue model bass guitars (it's literally the same 6 pole pickup used in both applications, the only differences are the type of mounting screws used for the pickup case because the bass version mounts on a pickguard).

weibassist

Reaction score
thanks a lot for the info , wonder if CE100(with2 Franz pickup) will sound similiar to X175(WITH fRANZ PICKUPS) ?THANKS

teleharmonium said:
I get a jazz sound from the neck Franz pickup on my '60 T 100 string with flatwound strings, which makes me very happy.

I would say either one would work well so long as you are using flats, but the deeper bodied CE model would be the more traditional choice.

I also have another T100 with the thin single coils ("Mickey Mouse pickups") which also gets a nice jazz sound on the neck pickup. With heavier strings and the original wooden bridge, you might be surprised how loud a model T100 is, played acoustically.

I wouldn't trade the jazz sound I get with any of my single coil pickup Guilds, for the sound one gets from a Gibson mudbucker. The Franz pickups are especially nice sounding. It's a common misconception that tight, defined, pronounced bass comes from higher output pickups - quite the contrary, the lower the output of a pickup, the more highs and lows it has, and the fewer mids. As you add windings, you change the tone toward a concentration in the midrange. This is why, for example, the very same Rickenbacker toaster pickup, having a a moderate output level by modern standards, can produce the characteristic chimey highs in their guitars and deep bass in the neck position of their older or reissue model bass guitars (it's literally the same 6 pole pickup used in both applications, the only differences are the type of mounting screws used for the pickup case because the bass version mounts on a pickguard).

motopsyche

Reaction score
Can someone contrast the jazz-worthy tones of a Franz-equipped X-175 with that of a Guild humbucker-equipped X-175 ('63 model)? How do the Guild 'buckers compare to those of Gibson?

I've got a '60 T-100DP which I love for blues/rock and recently got a '63 X-175 as described above.

Many thanks!

Bill

teleharmonium

Reaction score
Bill, I think most any Guild hollowbody will have a more than worthy jazz sound in general, since that was their target market until later in the 60s. The hums in your X175 should be somewhat less bright and with a mellower attack of the note compared to the Franz, assuming you used the same set of strings on each guitar. The Guild hums are a bit brighter and chimier than Gibson PAF/patent number hums and have slightly lower output.

I should really stress that the Franz pickups are so bright and chimey that they can do it all with flatwounds, in my opinion, including rock out.

My '60 T100 as I mentioned has the flats and higher action. I also have a '66 with the Mickey Mouse pickups, roundwound strings, and lower action. It's an interesting comparison. They're both versatile, but as you might guess I lean toward the '60 for jazz and the '66 for rock/pop/whatever.

However, you might consider flats on your '60 and rounds on your '63, which is possibly a little counterintuitive... I just think all the Guild pickups are really good and have the potential to surprise, the way they sound with different strings.

Squawk

Reaction score
I have a 1996 X170 and use TI jazz flat 10s. The X170 has a vertical block of wood that connects the top and bottom just under the bridge which reduces feedback while maintaining that nice "woody" jazz sound. I can also get a great blues sound with just the right amount of "dirt" when used straight into my Fender Vibrolux custom with the volume kicked up a little.

matsickma

Reaction score
A 1961 CE-100DP for $1400 is a good price. A few years ago a great looking Franz PUP blond CE-100DP posted on eBay for BIN @ $1400. I was indecisive on that guitar and it was taken. I have a feeling Billydlight added that one to his cache of CE-100DP's.

You couldn't go wrong at that price.

I recommend you look for previous submissions by Billy about the CE100DP. He described some unique information about the neck angle and how it resulted in a unique tone quality of the CE-100 DP with the bridge pup. Billy may have more to say about the potential tone differences of a CE verses a X-175.

Also, I would be interested in that guitar. Feel free to send me a PM if you arn't interested.

M

billydlight

Reaction score
MMMMM CE100D. Sadly you will have to settle for a T100 as there are no more CE's left. I have cornered the market. :twisted:

Seriously these guitars (T and CE's) are equally great sounding. For me it just comes to preferring a thick body. That being said I own 2 Starfires and 2 T100's with all 3 types of pickups (DeArmond, Franz, Guild HB)

They all sound great, however the Franz' are my favorite.

Also you might want to PM Rogersguy, he has a really nice 61 CE right now.
I would contact him soon before I do. :wink:

So in closing I would say either will sound great for just about any kind of music. It comes to preference in body depth.

Reaction score
Yup, both are great, and as much as anything, it comes down to choice and feel. Both those guitars can cop a crisp but full Grant Green sort of tone (as when he played an ES-330). Even the CE-100DP, though, doesn't sound as big and fat as many other archtops (including the 17" Guilds). They're a little tighter and quicker, in a Gretschy sort of way, if that helps. Great guitars, and I like that tone for jazz -- but not everyone will.