Open mics

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Open mic, round 2

Well, last night went much better than my first open mic last month. I still wasn't entirely comfortable up there, but there was never a deer in the headlights moment either. Played 2 originals, and closed with an obscure unreleased cover that nobody in there had ever heard. Very kind audience again, and the hosts are just fantastic. It's a guy and gal, and they usually do a set of 5- 6 songs themselves at some point during the night along with any supporting cast members that want to play along with them... I guess the regulars.

It's a very cool vibe (note: if anyone's travels ever takes you to the Poconos on a Wednesday night... Sarah Street Grill). The hosts have a lot to do with that vibe... here's couple examples.... as I'm plugging in & quickly tuning up, I'm talking to the female host off-mic and compliment them on how comfortable they made it for me last time... which is why I came back. She responded by saying something to the effect of "playing your songs should never be made hard". How simple, yet true.

And the male host not only remembered my D25 from last time, but he also immediately noted the DV52 with his "another Guild!" remark. Very cool. And boy.... does that guitar ever sound AMAZING! I had a Fishman Matrix Natural installed in her, and now she sings through a PA just as nicely as she does unplugged.... the great job those folks did on the board didn't hurt either.

Anyone on the fence should just get out there & try to play one of these to see how it goes. Expect the worst the first time. Be as prepared as you can & don't overstay your welcome... hit 'em with your best 2 or 3 tunes & get off. From there, it gets much easier. Trust me, I'm a very simplistic writer and strummer (self-taught & only 3.5 years into playing now), and a total amateur vocalist trying to find my way. But after just playing 2 of these now in the past 3 weeks or so, I suspect I might end up loving to play live at some point not too far off.

HoboKen

Reaction score
After a bunch of 15-20 minute open mic gigs, one moves to the half-hour and hour spotlight performances......Just you, your Guilds, and two mics.
(Shure M-58-Voice/M-57-Instrument).........

Yes, its important to hit 'em with one of your best fast shots for that first opening song. I've been known to hit the airwaves flying on Rocky Top or Jambalia......something they know and that you can do well. It sets their minds at ease to know you are at ease and that you are there to have fun with them.

I try to weave in and out of fast to slow numbers, serious ballads to funny songs like Dave VanRonk's "Yas-Yas-Yas or my own "12-String Playing Bug Blues number, etc." Keep mixing it up and they will not get bored, but will be right there with you. I always end a first set with Phil Ochs' "The Highwayman," finger-picking and strumming my JF-55-12.

I end a second set with the same 12-string doing Davies and Seeger's "Bells of Rhymney (Welsh town pronounced Rum'-Nee...not Rim-Nee!.....me grandfather came from there don't ya know! And of grandfathers....."everyone is entitled to two of'em ya know." Oh my, it has been "A Hard Days' Night"....or was that ....."Help!"

Say Fungus......Saturday March 10, 2007 on North Front St., Harrisburg, PA at the Ft. Hunter Estate Park......one of the best Delta & Piedmont Acoustic Blues singer-players ever, Dr. Jeff Kelley with his JF-55-6 will be doing a gig at the Susquehanna Folk Music Society's Coffee House Series Nights...7:00-10:30 p.m. He'll be doin' some Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Skip James, Muddy Waters, Big Joe Williams, Leadbelly, Rev. Gary Davis, Leroy Carr, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and Son House songs.

HoboKen

6L6

Reaction score
The best single word for you to remember is "DYNAMICS".

In other words, don't start hammering on that guitar so hard no one hears your singing! It's easy to do when the adrenalin starts flowing...

I salute your effort! About 10 years ago (I'm now 61) I decided to relive my college years when I used to perform out and started hitting local Open Mics to get used to performing solo in front of folks again.

Not only was it fun, it was a RUSH! Couldn't wait to get to next week's O/M!!!

I finally got down enough songs and confidence to take my "all-covers" self out for pay. I'm now retired from the regular weekly grind and have gotten a really nice little business going for myself doing private parties, corporate functions, college gigs, restaurants, etc. Having an absolute blast doing this!

The way to do it is exactly what you're doing. Get out and play the O/M's as much as you can to get your chops and anxiety levels down. You'll also get to know the movers & shakers in your local musical community (if it's anything like San Francisco) aand that can lead to business opportunites.

Case in point:

I played one Monday night O/M in San Francisco where I'd show up around 8:00PM and get to play for an hour or so before the event officially got underway. The venue was a really upscale "Yuppie Bar" and the clients were well-heeled young men and women. Many worked in the investment banking community. My covers of Neil, Simon & Garfunkle, Dylan, Buddy Holly, James Taylor, etc, netted me tips of $235 one evening. And better yet, it got me invited to play for pay at some of their corporate gigs. With that, I was off and running.

Give 'em what they want to hear and you may just find yourself in a similar spot as me where you just can't believe you're getting paid for having so much fun!

Go for it.

6L6

Reaction score
Wow, $235 for a night...................now I could look forward to that.

Wes: Yep, it keeps me in nice guitars!

Fact is, if you want a chance to make the best money you need to PLAY where money is less of an object. Econ 101 I know, but many don't seem to realize this.

The place I made $235 in tips was filled with young investment bankers who threw $10's & $20's in the jar because it meant nothing to them (financially speaking). Hey, if I was making a seven digit salary it wouldn't bother me either!

'07 D-40BJ
'06 D-55
'74 D-40
'98 Martin D-45V
'70 Martin D-12-20
'98 Collings D-1
'03 Taylor 214

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
West R Lee said:
Wow, $235 for a night...................now I could look forward to that.

West

Me too, but I don't think I'm too good at giving 'em what they want.

My format for the first couple open mics was 2 originals and a cover. I played a third time a couple weeks ago, and went in with the same game plan. Well, I made a wiseguy remark to a friend in the audience about coming up & playing drums on the last song.

He didn't come up, of course, but another guy (one of the hosts) did as I began playing "Dead Flowers". I gotta tell ya, I was in shock and a wreck having only played a couple times in a living room with a drummer & never in public. But, he was great. It made it a lot more fun. After that song I thought I was done, but they asked me to play another one so I had nothing in the arsenal I was sure he would know so I played an easy D / A / G standard... strumming the chords a few times & letting him know it was basically the same for the whole song. He didn't miss a beat.

What a difference it made playing with a drummer. He really rounded out the sound. I'm very stoked now to play out in a louder band situation by the end of the year. Still got a lot of work to do, but I know it's within reach now.

Does anyone ever *really* get comfortable playing solo? I imagine the anxiety must always be worse than a band situation.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
That is so cooool, Fungie! Congratulations!!

I've been pretty comfortable playing solo because I've done it a long time. It's actually a little more awkward playing with sidemen. But in the last couple of months I've brought along a couple friends who happen to be very good. They, like the drummer you got, make me sound much better! and it sure is fun! My problem is whether the tips make it worth their while. They're doing it mostly because we've been friends a long time, and with the understanding that if another, better paying, gig comes up, they're obliged to take it. I certainly can't fault them for that! But I have found that playing with other guys, though, will always make you improve. And I can always do solo gigs - just open my case on a street corner!

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
I haven't actually played 'open mike' using a mike for years - but go to various 'Folk Clubs' in the area - usually up to 40 people and some times it is a 'spotlight' night up on stage - but we don't generally amplify, and I got used to belting it out voicewise when I was in a small Folk band some years back and we played in a noisy Bath pub called the 'Beehive' every Sunday night. In these venues, 'Folk' is a loose term - anything goes. You generally get 2 songs in a night - more if there are fewer performers.

Yep - you always can play it better back home - but some nights it goes well and you feel pretty good about it. But there are some really talented musicians where I go, so however good I do it, I know I'm pretty low down in the musician pecking order!