Dave gonzales model

jazzman

Reaction score
oops one more thing

gosh where is my brain today. I wanted to also write something about why I want to get the guitars out for $1500.
I look around and see a lot of custom builders that seem to think that their time is worth SO much money. True, time is money, but I also look around and see the REAL musicians that are out there. THEY are the ones that are breakin' their backs, and pourin' the blood, sweat, and tears into their music. They are the ones that should really have a great quality instrument that is going to be of the utmost in quality, the finest tone, and just really top notch over all....yet who can really afford one of these modern hand build instruments when they are almost the same price as the vintage ones in most cases?! On top of that, who would really feel comfortable paying $3000-$5000 for a guitar and then take it out to you gigs and sweat all over it.
I'm very passionate about what I'm doing and I'm not out to make millions of dollars. I just want to make enough to pay my bills and maybe have a tiny bit left over after that to put away for a rainy day. I think it's about time for real musicians to be able to afford really great instruments!
But that's just me, maybe I'm crazy.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Jazzman,

Well you got my jucies flowing! I hope you keep to your excellent ideals AND make a good living.

Aristocrats Improvements...I have an one that had a extremely worn finish. It is being done over. With the finish removed I am not tring to restore it but I am playing with a few ideas on customization which may include a triple Frantz pickup configuration and Bigsby. It should be pretty cool when completed and a one of a kind. Improvement...I have re-potted my PUPs to reduce squeal but find the Aristocrat is still touchy with feedback. I am going to try adding a sound post under the bridge ala the X170's design in an attempt to improve feedback resistance. I think an improvement on the feedback succeptability of the Aristocrat will be a desired feature.

matsickma

jazzman

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying on the feedback issue. I mean, any hollowbody is gonna have that problem. What I would consider doing is having an option available for any hollowbody instrument that would be similar to the "trestle" bracing as found on the brian setzer gretsch guitars, or a sound post. I wouldn't want to make that a standard feature because even though a hollow body instrument is laminate, it still resonates and installing a soundpost kills that resonance. It's a different sound, in my honest opinion. But yeah I'd do that as an option.
I'm also going to have options available for those that would want their aristocrat or X guitar to have any gretsch-y appointments. i.e gold sparkle bindings, the sparkle tops as on the silver jet gretsch guitars.
pretty much anything really.
Anybody else have ideas? It's gonna happen! i'm hoping to have the prototypes done by late spring or early summer.