Do you really want to see Fender building Guild archtops?

john_kidder

Reaction score
That's just the sort of real imaginative work we'll need from the R&D labs.

That will build the brand faster than anything else - a native understanding of the needs of the player, a real sense of originality, attention to detail in design and production, and devotion to high quality in execution.

Well done, well done.

billydlight

Reaction score
Laugh all you want. It's not as crazy as it seems. I encourage anyone with dreams and resources to seriously think about it.

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
billydlight said:
Laugh all you want. It's not as crazy as it seems. I encourage anyone with dreams and resources to seriously think about it.

Not much in the cash resources department here, but I am willing to invest sweat equity!

Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
Same here in the cash department...but.....I could be a "field tester"!!! :lol: :oops:

That's Walter -- taking one for the team.

;-)

One place to look for strategies would be Heritage -- though Guild would likely always be smaller, it's a similar model.

Starting out, though, I'd think that a small high quality luthier shop would be a place to start. With someone like Saul Koll at the helm, you could focus on a handful of models of excellent quality. The real challenge would produce high quality US guitars for less than Heritage prices.

Reaction score
I'd guess the following guitars:

One 17" body, with maybe three versions:

-- a carved top AA with a floating pickup
-- lam top with humbuckers
-- a lam top with Lollar-designed Franz-ish P90s and a Bigsby

These should all have the sexier thin-waisted '50s body shape, of course.

A Starfire thinline, in humbucker and DeArmond versions.

That seems like plenty to me. I don't see much point in trying to resurrect the SF-IV, which always seemed like a Gibson wannabe to me. Others will likely disagree, of course.

How do you build these at a price that competes not only with Gibson and Gretsch, but also with vintage Guilds?

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Smiert Spionam said:
I'd guess the following guitars:

How do you build these at a price that competes not only with Gibson and Gretsch, but also with vintage Guilds?

It won't be easy.... for eexample, Eastman jazz guitars made in China are considered a bargain in the $1600 - $3000+ range. You'd think similar guitars made in the U.S. would be double, especially with carved tops.

Reaction score
Yup.

I don't see a way around that.

And you know, even Gibson gets competition with their own vintage guitars, especially in the archtop lines. You can buy a nice vintage ES-175 or L-7 for the same as a new one. That would be a huge problem for a restarted independent Guild -- you'd have to match the quality of some of the best vintage Guilds, which are comparatively very inexpensive.

Could a new Guild company offer anything to compete with this for $3200?

http://lucchesivintageinstruments.com/product.php?id=32&PHPSESSID=3b816912309924096b8f2358a290f343

I know it's not carved, but it's one of the nicest vintage Guilds on the market lately. And while it's a gorgeous guitar, it still hasn't found a buyer for the year or two it's been available. A new instrument would have to be better, for less, and have excellent reliable follow up service and warranty. That's a high hurdle.

You know, I really oughta scround up some pennies and find a way to buy that one....

guildzilla

Reaction score
IMO, the irony is that Fender (and maybe only Fender) has the marketing clout and the deep pockets to invest in a revival of USA Guild archtops and compete with Gibson at those price points. It would take a long-range marketing effort, which is a tough-sell everywhere these days.

And the used/vintage market is significant competition, as well, especially for archtops.

Maybe if the kids would put down the game-boys and cell phones and get guitars instead, it would grow the market. And maybe it's wishful thinking, but I feel like another guitar boom is possible in the near-term future.

billydlight

Reaction score
We make one model: 1958 CE100DP reissue. :twisted:

All kidding aside. Who is interested in a real way in exploring this?

gtraddict

Reaction score
I have to agree with the points made on the vintage/used market as being so much of a competition point. Used Fenders and Gibson keep upward to 70% of their value, depending of condition from being bought new price. The prices that a new American made Starfire or Bluesbird is probably going to be 2 times or more the price you can get a used one for.

Btw on the subject of the carved top guitars PRS's Hollowbody series is carved out for a great price if you decide not to stock up on options.

Reaction score
I wonder how much Fender would want to sell the brand.

Bet they wouldn't let it go cheap, no matter how little they plan to develop it themselves.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's not as crazy as it seems. I encourage anyone with dreams and resources to seriously think about it

I do believe should someone actually come up with meaningful numbers, there will be substantially fewer members contributing to this thread.

However, should I be wrong, you can count me in, I'll pawn the Taylor.

I know the perfect spot to put the factory, Bing's little town of Stanford, Montana, population 411, only a couple hundred miles from the Gypson factory in Bozeman.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bing,

Didn't really look to see if a suitable start up building was available.

Suppose we could use the basement in the museum for a while till things got up & running. A few of the tools down there would probably be useful anyway.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok Bing, sounds good,

Just one more thing, how far is the nearest Wal Mart, if it's closer than a hundred miles it might not work out.