Tenor banjo

guildzilla

Reaction score
For an easy-to-get-started strumming instrument, the 4-string tenor banjo is a hoot.

My wife bought me an antique banjo as a gift about 12 years ago, one of her best presents ever. It was in pieces in the original case from a Columbus pawn shop and turned out to be a much-appreciated present.

Her intent was to have an interesting antique to hang on the wall (we've had this ornamental but unplayable 1900 mandolin displayed that way for 20 years), but it turned out that all this old lady needed was a new bridge in order to be as good as ever.

My 1927 Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo is a lot of fun to play. The chords are simple, and it's easy to give yourself a different sound.

Works great with solo songs like Neil Young's "For the Turnstiles" or "Love is a Rose." My understanding is that Young used a guitar-tuned 5-string plectrum to record those. Or as a supporting instrument on a song like "Nashville Cats."

The Vega Little Wonder is a mid-line tenor banjo. The best Vegas are Tubaphones and Whyte Ladies.

If you want to be able to say you can play two (or three, or four) instruments, the tenor is a cool way to add a different sound with just a little effort. I don't play it often, but for certain songs it's a lot of fun.