Trace TA 100 R Acoustic Amp

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I ran across this AMP at the Guitar show & for once didn't bite. I listened & played a cheap little acoustic thru it & it sounded pretty darn nice.

The seller played an Import Strat or Tele look alike thru it & it sounded pretty OK, much better than I expected.

Nice features, phantom power, notch function that works better than most I've seen, low/high impedance inputs, ok little equalizer, effects & more.

Came pretty close to going to the cash machine but calmed myself.
Does anyone have experience with this amp

[img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/p4da0ff10ae03c47654d6ccde54fa209c/ecd2f31e.jpg[/img]
[img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/pcc39f69207b090fa29937706ad357666/ecd2f2b2.jpg[/img]

dklsplace

Reaction score
Yes sir, I have one & play it live every week! Sure, it sounded ok with a slab bodied electric, but it's an acoustic amp for goodness sake....talk about poor marketing.

These are fantastic acoustic amps! IMO, Trace Elliot set the standard for acoustic amplification & no one else has measured up.

Squawk

Reaction score
I have it's little brother - the TA-50 which has 2 (rather than 4) 5" speakers and, I believe, a few less features. I agree with everything said here - except I'll take Don's word about setting the standard as I am not that familiar with other acoustic-only amps. I'll add that the reverb feature is the best I've seen. Because my model has only the 2 5" speakers, the bass is a little lacking - I correct that by using a small Fender BMR practice bass amp to fill in the low end.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Squawk & Darryl,

Thanks for the response, The owner is in Vancouver , Wa & he has two of these amps,. One needing some fixing, & this one 100% operational with a bit of road wear for $500.

I'm gonna give myself another day to let the idea ferment a bit & since the price seems firm, head down to Vancouver & likely fall on my sword.

Jeff

Squawk

Reaction score
Jeff -

FYI, you might want to find out where it was made. Most were made in the UK, while some are made in the US when Gibson owned them. I have 2 Trace amps - a bass head from the UK and a USA TA50. Some people think UK is better - like Westerly vs. Corona/Tacoma.

BTW, I bought the TA50 new on closeout from MF for $399 - had sold for $799 and I believe the TA100 went for $1199. I bought the bass head on closeout several years back when Gibson bought out Trace - recently, they sold them off.

dklsplace

Reaction score
$500 is a pretty good price, & a bonus if the footswitch is included. I have a bit more into mine.

I have already modded it because the 4x5 config didn't put out quite the stage volume I need. The low end is ok in small rooms, but gets lost in larger settings. I built a 1x12 extension cab & installed a tip shunt jack in the TA which, when connected, sends the signal from one of the 5"'s to the 1x12. Makes for a really large full sound on stage!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
DKLS,

I seem to recall the footswitch was there, I'm going to call the seller in a bit & get some details refreshed.

Are you running the acoustics straight into the Trace or are you using a pre amp or EQ. ??

sends the signal from one of the 5"'s to the 1x12. Makes for a really large full sound on stage

Interetsting, my contrary mind is curious if it is not possible to run the extra 12 Cab without the mod. Keeping all 4 of the "Fives" live.

I

dklsplace

Reaction score
I suppose anything is possible Jeff, but the 4x5 config is 4, 8ohm speakers wired series/parallel. Figured mine was the simplest mod in that it doesn't change the design, & simply un-plugging the cable returns the amp to the original 4x5 output.

I had a TA60CR for a coupe years which was a 2x8 with a piezo. What I miss about that was the chorus.

No, I run my JF-30 straight into the amp. No other EQ's or pre amps.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The seller called me back, He says the amp is of British Manufacture & there is no footswitch.

Still, I think I'm gonna bite. Thanks for the help

Anyway, I stepped outside the front door & my tusq pins were in a big box leaning up against the front door. Everything in tip top shape surprised it arrived so soon & the mail man left it on the porch without ringing the doorbell !!!!!!!!!!!! I have no idea how long it was out there.

Pretty darn cool. 8) I'll keep you posted

Thank you,

Jeff

dklsplace

Reaction score
Nothing special about the footswitch. You can pick up a generic one for $20 that will do the job.

Squawk

Reaction score
No need to modify the amp to add some bottom - as I mentioned, I use a small independent bass amp - just parallel the cavbles and you can adjust to the room. Yolu don't need anything great for the bottom - it's just filler. I'm sure any cheap small amp would work well.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, it's here.

I drove down this evening & picked it up. I took my mike & the CO 1 with & tried it out for almost an hour before I bargained him down to $475

Exterior is a little rougher than I would have liked but it's most definitely a cut above what I have. Interestingly the seller was using a Roland keyboard amp to fill in the bottom. Just a little bit of the bigger bottom & it makes a nice difference.

The seller had a G 37 with an internal pickup that sounded nice & played well. It's a little playworn & he wants 800.00 for it.

Played both the G 37 the CO 1 thru my microphone. The microphone definitely gave a sweeter sound than the G 37 with the pickup.

Need to search for an operators manual tomorrow, the seller claims he found it on the Gibson website.

After breakfast I'm gonna take it out to the garage & plug the Taylor in & see what it does. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like that.
[img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/p18d60dd229d0a293c1fe8f6770b777a3/ecbee256.jpg[/img]

Squawk

Reaction score
Jeff -

If you can't find the manual on-line, PM me - and I'll look for the manual for my TA50 (which I think covers both models).

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Squawk,

Thanks for the gesture on the manual.

DKLS sent me the site for British Audio Service. Made it easier for both of us.

http://www.britishaudioservice.com/

Save this to your favorites & you'll never have to find your hard copy.

8)

Jeff

dklsplace

Reaction score
Just noticed this thread is in the "Guild amps" category, so I'll move it to the "Other Gear" Amps section.

When I had the TA60CR, I used a keyboard amp for bigger bottom. Several reasons I decided to go with the shunt jack & external cab with the TA100R.

First, 100watts is plenty-O-power, but the 4x5 speaker config wouldn't put out near the volume the 2x8 60watt amp did.
Secondly, I had an extra 12" on hand, plus some decent pine to build a closed back, ported design cab which really booms.
Finally, the 1x12 cab weighs 1/4 of a similarly equipped amp, & I'm not trying to balance my stage volume with 2 sets of controls. Toss in a set of casters on the external cab, & the TA100 sets perfectly on top & moves easily!

dklsplace

Reaction score
Gain stuck on 5 will be a huge issue with one of these. Our church has a KB60 & it's loud at 1.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas for keeping me out of trouble :twisted:

Just wanted to see if eveyone was paying attention.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Seriously for a minute.

I played areound with the new amp for several hours last night. Operators manual was invaluable. It took me a while to get the idea of adjusting the input signal. Interestingly the DC5 seems to work better on the Piezo , low level input. I would have thought the Fishman put out a stronger signal.

I understand why those of you that have these amps talk so glowingly about them.

I used an AB switch to go back and forth between the new TA100 & my Ultrasound. Just about made up my mnd the Ultrasound will be collecting dust. Or off to Craigslist. :D
[img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/pce256b06bc050e502eb67e1e76450fcd/ecbaa0ee.jpg[/img]