I'm glad to join this site

guildzilla

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I was very excited to view this site for the first time a few days ago and decided to join the discussions and learn about Guild instruments. I share the passion for guitars, generally, and especially for Guild guitars.

First, about the Guildzilla screen name, I certainly do not mean to suggest any great knowledge or wisdom that I will be bringing to the forum. Rather, the Guildzilla thing describes how I feel about myself as a guitar player and collector, which is a bit awkward and clumsy but very enthusiastic.

In terms of turning on to Guild, I had been playing for about ten years in 1987, having started as a junior in college, when I began looking for my first really nice acoustic guitar. I had been playing a once-beloved '78 Yamaha FG-330 but had begun to jam on Friday nights with a few neighbors who had instruments that buried me.

I was close to buying an Alvarez Yairi guitar when I walked into Sweetwater Music here in Columbus and saw an '86 Guild F-44 Maple Blonde beauty hanging on the wall. Although I didn't buy it until a few days later, I was totally hooked. While I am very unworthy, I have loved this guitar intensely, and it is the one and only material possession I could never part with.

It made me a huge fan and advocate of Guild. An the F-44 has been a great ambassador for the maker, loved, complimented and coveted by everyone who touches her.

I recently discovered e-bay and bought a couple of '86 Guild solid body electrics - an S-261 K and an S-271 Sprint.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, guildzilla. You'll find others on this board who must also get power from chewing on power lines, judging from their inexhaustible energy and fervour for all things Guild.

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
Greetings guildzilla! It is always a pleasure to hear from another enthusiastic yet awkward guitar player. I consider myself likewise, however I share none of your atomic radiation origins.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
We have a goldfish named Goldzilla. Bought him as a feeder about 4 years ago for about a quarter and he just keeps growing. He was one of 3 we got for my daughter and I think he chased the other two right out of the tank 'cause we found each of them lying on the floor. Now he's freakin' huge and we're afraid to put another fish in with him.
Wait...... what forum am I on? Oh, yeah - I remember! Sorry - geezerness.

Welcome aboard Guildzilla!!
Maybe you can post some pictures of your Guild arsenal. They sound like a real interesting collection.

Guildmark

guildzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcoming comments.

Gruhn Goon, the atomic radiation effects could be an explanation for some of the strange behavior permutations that my wife has been trying to get a handle on for years. I also note that the demographics of the group suggest "duck and cover" experience from elementary school.

Guildmark, the picture thing is something I don't have down yet, but it's on my list. I have intent and the family digital camera pushing me to do that. The F-44 has matured beautifully, and I love showing it off. It has the Gruhn era slotted diamonds in the fretboard which I like as much or more than the classic Guild high-end acoustic inlays. It also came with ebony pins with abalone dots which make a great combination with the ebony bridge. I don't know if Guild installed those or if Sweetwater did it, but I've not seen that typical on Guilds. I'm still discovering the two new solid bodies which came this week. They are very similar and very cool, Strat-bodies. Part of the reason that I felt confident bidding on them was that I have the '86 catalogue, etc. But I've also got a billion questions and will be looking for help in posts in the solid body section. I got both of them cleaned and polished up and restrung today. Very thankfully, one of them came with the tools and instructions for the Kahler bridge that each has.

Ramble on.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Gruhn Loon, how did you happen to come across and keep those marvellous guitars? I treasure my GF-60R, hate myself for selling my D-66, had an F-44 for a while, and just missed a beauteous GF-50-12 a few months ago (perhaps you got it?). The Gruhn Guilds just beat the poop out of the others, IMHO.

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
John,
My fingerstyle teacher astutely pointed me in the direction of Guild guitars when I started lessons three years ago. As luck would have it, he spotted the '89 on a ebay auction during my first week of looking. After I bought it I soon realized how very fortunate I was to practice using such an amazing instrument. Several years later I found the '88 cutaway which was being sold by a Guild collector who had kept it in absolutely pristine condition. Again I was smitten. As for the 12 string, my teacher noticed that one too, and I knew I was unlikey to see another. The sale was listed by a ebay shop in CA and I have only had it since early June. It truly is a "beauteous" guitar and I may be the culprit if this ebay listing sounds familiar. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I can assure you it is in a good home where it is given the respect and attention (daily play) it deserves. Gruhn Guilds are nothing short of fantastic and I can fully understand your appreciation of your GF-60.

guildzilla

Reaction score
Gruhn Loon, sorry I got the name screwed up last time. I'm quite interested in the story of what transpired during the years G. Gruhn was involved with Guild, as this coincides with the guitars I have.

It seems clear that it was a time for change and that Gruhn had a new vision for Guild. For instance I have the catalogues that indicate that the entire solid body line changes from '86 to '88 and that the classicals cease to be made. What do you and other folks know about those years at Guild? And how those guitars compare to other Guild eras?

If the store I purchased my F-44 from is any indication, the dealers were very excited about Guild in '86-'87. I was in sales myself at the time and would testify that they seemed pretty real about it. The guy who sold me the F-44 had himself puchased the rosewood version for his primary guitar, and I know he was still using it (Irish and Celtic music) many years later.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Gruhn Loon said:
the 12 stringwas listed by a ebay shop in CA and I have only had it since early June. It truly is a "beauteous" guitar and I may be the culprit if this ebay listing sounds familiar

Same guitar, certainly. Well, although you single-handedly destroyed my girlish dreams of having a 12-string sister for my GF-60R, perhaps we might still be friends. Certainly I won't be wishing that a dumptruck runs over your fingers and you're forced to sell your guitars (to me) or anything like that.

You might be intererested to look at the postings about the listing and (now your) guitar on this board at GF-50 12 (1) and at GF-50 12 (2)

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
John,
Well reading through those posts brings several things to mind. It's clear I wasn't the only person who recognized the uniqueness of that GF-50. I can certainly get a sense of your loss due to my purchase. Lastly it brings to mind the question: You don't own a dumptruck do you?

guildzilla,
I am primarily a fan of the Gruhn models, not an expert. It's clear to me that John and many others know much more that I do. I am also sure that in the yet-to-be released second volume of Hans Moust's Guild book we'll all get the definitive version. I can only offer the following. I believe that in 1984 George Gruhn designed six guitars for Guild. Three dreadnoughts and three small jumbos I think. I also hear that at this same time there was an effort to change the model designation system to make it more logical. I believe Gruhn was only with Guild for a short period. I am unaware of what his influence was on solid bodies or whether he influenced classical guitar production. I did run a search for "Gruhn" on this site and alot of references have been made. Perhaps the long-standing members can point out the most pertinent posts.

guildzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the get-back on my Q's, Gruhn Loon.

I have the original b/w sales flyer for the Gruhn-designed acoustics offered in '86. The flyer has a photo of Gruhn holding the guitars and a well-hyped but informative description of the design features under the heading "The Guild Gruhn Series - A Totally New Line of Fine Acoustic Guitars." Like you said, six guitars in the series, D or F bodies, maple, rosewood, or mahogany, plus two levels of ornamentation. I'd be glad to make a copy (won't be great) and mail it to, if you'd like to see it.

Unfortunately this is about where my knowledge stops about the Guild/Gruhn relationship, other than reading somewhere about Gruhn protege Kim Walker (is that the name?) coming in after him.

john_kidder

Reaction score
George Gruhn desiged the chambered-body Nightbird (later Nightingale), and the flat-top Songbird was also derived from the basic Nightbird shape. I believe that all the Gruhn-designed and inspired guitars have the characteristic narrow "snake-head" headstock.

I understand that Kim Walker was brought to Guild by Gruhn, to head up R&D, and that he later took a hand in production.

Jerre Haskew has told me that the company's intention at the time was simply to "make the finest production guitars in North America". They certainly did fine by my reckoning.

Gruhn Loon, I'm sorry to say that my dumptruck got wrecked when I was chasing a guy with a F-612. So you need have no fear.

And Guildzilla, if you can do it, I'd love to have a copy of that flyer re the Gruhn designs and guitars, to go with my catalogues from the period.

guildzilla

Reaction score
Sure, John, I'd be glad to copy it for you. How do I get your address? And can I just use a US postage stamp?

Is there a way we could all scan and post stuff like that?