Why is Fender so reprehensible?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Wow P,

Gutsy move there with the statement about Boeing. There was a guy who made a derogatory remark online about the company that I work for, and then "adios amigo". The reason given was that he had mentioned another employee in his post. Something about slander. He had a high paying job and had been with the company for over 20 years.

I do salute you though. Any road trips to Dallas in the forseeable future for you? I'm just off I-20 :) .

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Wow P,

Gutsy move there with the statement about Boeing. There was a guy who made a derogatory remark online about the company that I work for, and then "adios amigo". The reason given was that he had mentioned another employee in his post. Something about slander. He had a high paying job and had been with the company for over 20 years.

I do salute you though. Any road trips to Dallas in the forseeable future for you? I'm just off I-20 :) .

West

Squawk

Reaction score
I think that's a good general assumption - but there are exceptions - maybe only a few exceptions - it comes down to the people in charge.

I can say the same thing about government - up until a few years ago, I was CFO of a large state agency - $.5 billion budget, over 3,000 employees. Great Director.

Then the administration changes. Leadership changes. I decided it was time for a career change (other personal/family factors were also involved). I now work for a small non-profit with a dozen employees. Best move I ever made.

Stockholders dictate to large corporations; voters and stakeholders dictate to government. Sometimes the results are great - other times, they're not.

Enough philosophy. Let's enjoy our Guilds.

Squawk

Reaction score
I think that's a good general assumption - but there are exceptions - maybe only a few exceptions - it comes down to the people in charge.

I can say the same thing about government - up until a few years ago, I was CFO of a large state agency - $.5 billion budget, over 3,000 employees. Great Director.

Then the administration changes. Leadership changes. I decided it was time for a career change (other personal/family factors were also involved). I now work for a small non-profit with a dozen employees. Best move I ever made.

Stockholders dictate to large corporations; voters and stakeholders dictate to government. Sometimes the results are great - other times, they're not.

Enough philosophy. Let's enjoy our Guilds.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey Mr. P, you reminded me of one of my favorite Gordon Lightfoot tunes, "Boss Man" done in drop D tuning.

"Boss man, boss man, what do you say?
Gonna catch you alone in the mine someday
Push your face down in the coal
'Cause ya got no heart and ya got no soul"

Back to the real subject, its too bad that Westerly is a bygone era, but it is. Fender never can be or will be producing Westerly guitars again. This is not to suggest that the guitars built in Corona or Tacoma are inferior, but they are different. Having played only a few of both C and T built Guilds I must say they stayed very close to the old specifications and the workmanship was impeccable :D (not like any recent Gibsons I've seen) :shock: :cry:

Having lost my manufacturing job to outsourcing in the Pacific rim after 25 years I can commiserate with the old Westerly employees. This may be another reason why GADs are a sore point with me. :evil:

Dear Fender: make 'em in China all you want, but don't call 'em Guilds, IMHO.

Is there an echo in here?

I hope Tacoma Guilds take off like crazy, looks like they're poised to take off with all the new models they're offering.

Either way, I think you can take this to the bank: Westerly Guilds kept in reasonable shape will continue to increase in value

Maybe you Boeing guys could get jobs there at the Tacoma Guild operation and kill two birds with one stone! :D

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey Mr. P, you reminded me of one of my favorite Gordon Lightfoot tunes, "Boss Man" done in drop D tuning.

"Boss man, boss man, what do you say?
Gonna catch you alone in the mine someday
Push your face down in the coal
'Cause ya got no heart and ya got no soul"

Back to the real subject, its too bad that Westerly is a bygone era, but it is. Fender never can be or will be producing Westerly guitars again. This is not to suggest that the guitars built in Corona or Tacoma are inferior, but they are different. Having played only a few of both C and T built Guilds I must say they stayed very close to the old specifications and the workmanship was impeccable :D (not like any recent Gibsons I've seen) :shock: :cry:

Having lost my manufacturing job to outsourcing in the Pacific rim after 25 years I can commiserate with the old Westerly employees. This may be another reason why GADs are a sore point with me. :evil:

Dear Fender: make 'em in China all you want, but don't call 'em Guilds, IMHO.

Is there an echo in here?

I hope Tacoma Guilds take off like crazy, looks like they're poised to take off with all the new models they're offering.

Either way, I think you can take this to the bank: Westerly Guilds kept in reasonable shape will continue to increase in value

Maybe you Boeing guys could get jobs there at the Tacoma Guild operation and kill two birds with one stone! :D

songsmith7

Reaction score
I grew up about 5 miles away from Corona (in the La Sierra section of Riverside), and have seen the plant in person (many times), and I've owned a Strat. The fact that I don't think very highly of Corona as a town may have added to my already negative opinion of Fender, particularly their attempts at acoustic guitars.

Not an objective poster, here!!

songsmith7

Reaction score
I grew up about 5 miles away from Corona (in the La Sierra section of Riverside), and have seen the plant in person (many times), and I've owned a Strat. The fact that I don't think very highly of Corona as a town may have added to my already negative opinion of Fender, particularly their attempts at acoustic guitars.

Not an objective poster, here!!

Squawk

Reaction score
Yes, Coastie - it's Labor Day on Monday; hence this is Labor Day weekend - the last weekend of summer for many. Nice to talk about Labor Day in the same thread where Americans talk about corporate greed and/or how they were laid off.

Squawk

Reaction score
Yes, Coastie - it's Labor Day on Monday; hence this is Labor Day weekend - the last weekend of summer for many. Nice to talk about Labor Day in the same thread where Americans talk about corporate greed and/or how they were laid off.

songsmith7

Reaction score
It's Labor Day weekend, here, Coastie. I'll pop a cap off a Steinlager soon, in your honor. :D

CORONA SUCKS!!!!!

songsmith7

Reaction score
It's Labor Day weekend, here, Coastie. I'll pop a cap off a Steinlager soon, in your honor. :D

CORONA SUCKS!!!!!