You really want to know?

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Borders

california91207,

I'm not too likely to be back in Arcadia soon. It's outside my 30 mile radius limit. But if you're going to be in Costa Mesa again on Friday, Sept. 29, I'll be at the Borders-South Coast Plaza from 7-9pm that day. The rest of my Borders schedule is on my website http://www.soundclick.com/markhermann.

If you aren't quite ready to tackle something like that, find an open mike near you. It's a great way to boost your confidence and chops. Check http://www.openmikes.org to find one in your neighborhood. I use it when I'm on the road to find a place where I can "embarass" myself.
You are also welcome to come down to the open I attend every Tuesday night: http://www.soundclick.com/mophattuesdayopenmike. though that's a trek from Glendale!

Looking forward to linking up!
Guildmark

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Borders

california91207,

I'm not too likely to be back in Arcadia soon. It's outside my 30 mile radius limit. But if you're going to be in Costa Mesa again on Friday, Sept. 29, I'll be at the Borders-South Coast Plaza from 7-9pm that day. The rest of my Borders schedule is on my website http://www.soundclick.com/markhermann.

If you aren't quite ready to tackle something like that, find an open mike near you. It's a great way to boost your confidence and chops. Check http://www.openmikes.org to find one in your neighborhood. I use it when I'm on the road to find a place where I can "embarass" myself.
You are also welcome to come down to the open I attend every Tuesday night: http://www.soundclick.com/mophattuesdayopenmike. though that's a trek from Glendale!

Looking forward to linking up!
Guildmark

Reaction score
An Amazing Gift

West, Dred, P, Jeff, Coastie, CK, Don and all the geezers....

A couple of weeks back, Smithfield Fair played the annual Jackson, Mississippi Celtic Fest. This is an exceptionally fine small event focused on the music and on the Celtic/acoustic community in this part of the world. I really look forward to it - as it is so-o much better run and with such a wonderful atmosphere when compared to some of the large regional events and event a few of the national events in the genre.

Anyway, we arrive in a rainy drizzle (all the stages are inside) and pulled in beside my younger brother and our bassist. After greeting, I said I'd give him a hand as he pulled out his big B50s, but I noted a smaller, dreadnaught-size case in the boot of his automobile. I asked, 'what's that?' seeing the Guild logo on the case and he said, 'Joel sent that to you.'

It was nearly soundcheck time, so it would have to wait, but when the show was over, I quickly found a quiet spot to see what was what. Lo & behold, but it was a 1994 Guild DCE1. Now, I've never owned a cut-away - I just don't care for them and feel some of the potential sound is missing. I also don't like acoustic-electrics - feeling that they are made first and foremost with amplification in mind and acoustics are secondary. I also don't care for pick-ups. Sorry guys, but they all sound DOINKY to me - event the best ones have never gotten rid of that DOINKY sound.

However, in doing the last album, a friend loaned us a maple DCE3 and David Praet - our amazing guest lead guitarist/co-producer - used it quite a lot and REALLY liked it. David's predominantly an electric guitarist, but plays acoustic with us and wow! is he every amazing.

This friend is looking to possibly sell the DCE3, but it wasn't something I could afford at this time, but I was watching the DCEs on Ebay, just to see what they were going for. I kept seeing the DCE1s going for fair prices and thought I might like to have one in my arsenal for David to use whenever he sits in. Now, I have one.

This baby is incredible! It has a full rich sound - probably due to the arched mahogany back and sides - and a fast neck. There is some odd crazing around the area the fretboard overlaps the top, though. Looks possibly like a neck reset. My luthier, Holger Notzel, agrees and said the thing is in really good shape, has been played hard, but maintained well. He did a hone and crown job and lowered the action a bit and it's ready to go. The pick-up (the sticker on the case says "Fishman powered") is an LRBaggs and Holger played with it and says it works well and sounds pretty terrific. As Holger himself is a great guitarist and builds the Komet Amps that Mark Knofler, Eddie Van Halen and Sonny Landreth use, that's a pretty good recommendation.

I asked my brother Joel why he gave me the guitar - late birthday gift he told me - no other explanation. He just grins. Knowing his suitably Scottish temperament - that means it was a bargain as well. So, I'm taken aback at this wonderful and unexpected gift - but lads I am ever glad to add it to the arsenal.

All the best....dbs

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:D Congrats Smith, you'd better hang on to that brother of yours. Keep us posted, I've never owned a cutaway either.

On a slightly different note. I just wanted to mention that there is a guy with a Taylor listed on Ebay. In his description he states that part of the soundhole is missing! Can someone explain to me how part of a hole is missing :?: :wink: :lol:

West

Reaction score
O, that's rich!

West - Man, I'll be chuckling to myself for days on that one. Only a Taylor owner could come up with that innovation. "Part of the sound hole is missing...." hahahahahahahahahahahaha! dbs

(Yeah - I've got three brothers and two of them play Guilds while the other isn't player. Think I'll keep them all.)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, boys and girls, "Mere Image" (my band) is expanding our reportoire of facilities...tonight we're playing our first time at a large Hospice facility, kinda sticking our toe in the water here, but they specifically requested us because of our work at the nursing homes.

Feels a little strange, I was told the average stay here is 2 weeks. :cry:

But then, if I was on my way out, I'd sure want music!

I'll report back...

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dredster,

You go guy! Something tells me you'll have some pretty sweet music played for you one day :wink:.

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Had a great time there last night, played in a beautiful oak & stained glass room, several Hospice patients and their families came to hear us & sing along. A few songs into it we handed out egg shakers, tambourines, etc. and made them the percussion section.

We had a great time, did gospel, bluegrass, John Prine's "Grampa Was a Carpenter", "If I were a Carpenter", Stones "As Tears Go By", "You Are My Sunshine", among others. One of the nurses is going to bring her fiddle next time :D

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
That sounds very cool, Dred. Any chance you got it recorded? Or video taped? I think we'd all love to share your experience.

Guildmark

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mark, that was fairly tolerable mate. Light years ahead of my plinking !

It's always great when you get to see who you're talking to.

You and Jeff would look great together. You could call yourselves "American Idle"

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

Me n Mark have been jammin together for quite a while now, Gordon Lightfoot is one of my favorties. Mark learned those songs just so we could play together.

That's What You Get for Loving me and Did She Mention My Name is one of our best duets. Always a crowd pleaser.

Jeff

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff.

Must devote some more time to G.L. one of these days.

Love his "Sundown" and "If You Could Read My Mind" (?)

And, speaking of Canadians, one of my all-time favourite tunes is" Four Strong Winds" written by Ian Tyson, and wonderfully executed by Neil Young.

There are probably folk here who would argue that Neil executes everything that he sings !

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks, Guys. I'm just gonna keep playing these tunes until I get them right.

Jeff and I are gonna set up an internet video conference at my next gig and I'll have a projection monitor set up next to me so we can play side-by-side on stage. :lol:

Cheers!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
We'll do Four Strong winds for Coastie, I can make the F 20 sing on that chord progression.

Still can't sing for Guano but I can pick that song.