You really want to know?

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well, now, I appreciate the thought, I really do. But that 91207 Glendale zip code is just a little ways beyond the limit I've set for those Borders gigs. I had to draw the line somewhere or the agent would be placing me in Bakersfield and San Diego! So I've told him I need to limit it to a 30 mile radius from Yorba Linda. That covers all the stores in Orange County, plus Pico Rivera, Montclair, and Chino. Closest I've gotten to Glendale is Arcadia. Borders isn't a paying gig, you know - they figure they're doing you a favor by offering a place to sell your CDs, like I have one! And the tips I get for my skill level are rarely enough to cover the gas and a burger on the way home.

Here's a better question: Why aren't you playing in Glendale? I'll give you the name of the contact guy at Borders if you want to send him a demo CD. In the meantime I just got the schedule for October. Here's who you can expect at the Glendale store:

Glendale (8 p.m.) Shannon Hurley (6th), Jabi Shriki (7th), Media Orphan (13th), Aaron Spoor (14th), Sabrina Taylor (20th), Kristee Lively (21th), Che Zuro (27th), Mary White (28th)

The only two of these I've heard are Jabi Shriki (yawn) and Kristee Lively. Kristee isn't a stellar guitarist, but she sings very well, and with her looks - who cares? She's actually a nice lady. I chatted with her and bought her CD when she did the Newport Beach store. Check her out at
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... id=4556280

Come on down across the Orange Curtain one of these days, David!

Guildmark

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well, now, I appreciate the thought, I really do. But that 91207 Glendale zip code is just a little ways beyond the limit I've set for those Borders gigs. I had to draw the line somewhere or the agent would be placing me in Bakersfield and San Diego! So I've told him I need to limit it to a 30 mile radius from Yorba Linda. That covers all the stores in Orange County, plus Pico Rivera, Montclair, and Chino. Closest I've gotten to Glendale is Arcadia. Borders isn't a paying gig, you know - they figure they're doing you a favor by offering a place to sell your CDs, like I have one! And the tips I get for my skill level are rarely enough to cover the gas and a burger on the way home.

Here's a better question: Why aren't you playing in Glendale? I'll give you the name of the contact guy at Borders if you want to send him a demo CD. In the meantime I just got the schedule for October. Here's who you can expect at the Glendale store:

Glendale (8 p.m.) Shannon Hurley (6th), Jabi Shriki (7th), Media Orphan (13th), Aaron Spoor (14th), Sabrina Taylor (20th), Kristee Lively (21th), Che Zuro (27th), Mary White (28th)

The only two of these I've heard are Jabi Shriki (yawn) and Kristee Lively. Kristee isn't a stellar guitarist, but she sings very well, and with her looks - who cares? She's actually a nice lady. I chatted with her and bought her CD when she did the Newport Beach store. Check her out at
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... id=4556280

Come on down across the Orange Curtain one of these days, David!

Guildmark

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Excuse my ignorance...I know it's difficult sometimes, but what is Borders? I've lived a bit of a sheltered life here in Texas.

Is it a coffee house?

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Excuse my ignorance...I know it's difficult sometimes, but what is Borders? I've lived a bit of a sheltered life here in Texas.

Is it a coffee house?

West

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey Mark,

You assume too much! Would you believe that the last time I performed was about... lets see.... 1973?!?!?

I was away from music for a long time and now that my daughter is out of school and I have time on my hands all of a sudden my Guilds jumped back into my hands. My learning curve has been quick, but not quick enough for the stage... just yet.

Arcadia isn't too far away, I was working there today, and I'm in Costa Mesa all day on Friday. When's the next time you're in Arcadia? I can sit in, you can keep the tips and I'll buy the burgers. And by the way, there's an In 'N Out across the street from the Borders in Glendale if that makes a difference.....

And West... Borders is a bookstore with a coffee house, and In'N Out is the best hamburger on the planet. When you come to L.A., it is on me!

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey Mark,

You assume too much! Would you believe that the last time I performed was about... lets see.... 1973?!?!?

I was away from music for a long time and now that my daughter is out of school and I have time on my hands all of a sudden my Guilds jumped back into my hands. My learning curve has been quick, but not quick enough for the stage... just yet.

Arcadia isn't too far away, I was working there today, and I'm in Costa Mesa all day on Friday. When's the next time you're in Arcadia? I can sit in, you can keep the tips and I'll buy the burgers. And by the way, there's an In 'N Out across the street from the Borders in Glendale if that makes a difference.....

And West... Borders is a bookstore with a coffee house, and In'N Out is the best hamburger on the planet. When you come to L.A., it is on me!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
OK, ya they do that here at Books a Million. Been tempted to sit in, but haven't gotten the nerve yet.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
OK, ya they do that here at Books a Million. Been tempted to sit in, but haven't gotten the nerve yet.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West,

Borders is a giant Bookstore chain. The have an absolutely huge inventory of books, & music. The stores out here have a lots of their music set up so you can borrow a set of headphones and listen to many of selections before buying. Some of the kids think that's a new concept unique to their generation.

Funny, anyone remember the glass booths where you played the 33 1/3 LP's.

Usually the stores have a Starbucks Bistro kind of place for people to meet or read the paper over a cup of coffee & a granola muffin. Daily newspapers form several major cities are usually available.

Pretty darned busy places.

Surprised you haven't seen them in Texas. Probably because of the Republicans.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West,

Borders is a giant Bookstore chain. The have an absolutely huge inventory of books, & music. The stores out here have a lots of their music set up so you can borrow a set of headphones and listen to many of selections before buying. Some of the kids think that's a new concept unique to their generation.

Usually the stores have a Starbucks Bistro kind of place for people to meet or read the paper over a cup of coffee & a granola muffin. Daily newspapers form several major cities are usually available.

Pretty darned busy places.

Surprised you haven't seen them in Texas. Probably because of the Republicans.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:

I remember!! It was a cool idea, but the equipment was usually inferior!! :roll:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:

I remember!! It was a cool idea, but the equipment was usually inferior!! :roll:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Granola muffins? :roll: ya just lost me there buddy.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Granola muffins? :roll: ya just lost me there buddy.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Granola muffins? ya just lost me there buddy.

Not surprised, I'm not sure myself just what was in my head when the idea came up.

I'm just a little bit bewildered over the whole Starbucks concept. It's amazing, one of the hottest Stocks in the country is a company making a killing running a business where millions of people stand in line the world over to spend $4.50 for a cup of coffee.

It's just me, there are lots of things I don't understand. :?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Granola muffins? ya just lost me there buddy.

Not surprised, I'm not sure myself just what was in my head when the idea came up.

I'm just a little bit bewildered over the whole Starbucks concept. It's amazing, one of the hottest Stocks in the country is a company making a killing running a business where millions of people stand in line the world over to spend $4.50 for a cup of coffee.

It's just me, there are lots of things I don't understand. :?

dklsplace

Reaction score
It's the Barnes & Nobels (sp?) bookstores that have the Starbucks cafe's in this region.

dklsplace

Reaction score
It's the Barnes & Nobels (sp?) bookstores that have the Starbucks cafe's in this region.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
We just set up our schedule this week, among other things we're playing a Promise Keepers thing tonight at our church.

On 3 Thursday a month we'll either be playing at retirement/nursing homes or at the Hospice facility. The three main guys decided we could do 3 Thursdays ok. (With the redhead, blond & brunette's approval of course.) Hey, West told it like it is, man, all those old ladies tryin' to love up to you :oops: :lol:

Hospice will be a new experience for us. Its a beautiful wood and glass facility with great acoustics, they want us to go from room to room to play and sing as most of their patients are bedridden.

We'll no doubt have a few $ paying gigs too, private parties, etc., especially as we get closer to the holidays.

Then here will be the endless jam sessions just for fun...

Basically, any excuse to play and sing :D

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
We just set up our schedule this week, among other things we're playing a Promise Keepers thing tonight at our church.

On 3 Thursday a month we'll either be playing at retirement/nursing homes or at the Hospice facility. The three main guys decided we could do 3 Thursdays ok. (With the redhead, blond & brunette's approval of course.) Hey, West told it like it is, man, all those old ladies tryin' to love up to you :oops: :lol:

Hospice will be a new experience for us. Its a beautiful wood and glass facility with great acoustics, they want us to go from room to room to play and sing as most of their patients are bedridden.

We'll no doubt have a few $ paying gigs too, private parties, etc., especially as we get closer to the holidays.

Then here will be the endless jam sessions just for fun...

Basically, any excuse to play and sing :D