Guitar Habits

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but wanted to chime in on this topic. I didn't start playing until later in life (44 to be exact), and since I started I've played nearly every day for over three years. I've tried to make up for lost time I suppose. I know I'm in a race with declining mental and physical capabilities. So I figure I need to be as disciplined and consistent as possible.

My normal routine is to play for at least 30 minutes three times daily, in the morning before work, after work, and again in the late evening. Each of the three guitars I own gets played at least once per day. I always enjoy playing and having three wonderful guitars makes it that much more fun.

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but wanted to chime in on this topic. I didn't start playing until later in life (44 to be exact), and since I started I've played nearly every day for over three years. I've tried to make up for lost time I suppose. I know I'm in a race with declining mental and physical capabilities. So I figure I need to be as disciplined and consistent as possible.

My normal routine is to play for at least 30 minutes three times daily, in the morning before work, after work, and again in the late evening. Each of the three guitars I own gets played at least once per day. I always enjoy playing and having three wonderful guitars makes it that much more fun.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
having three wonderful guitars makes it that much more fun.

Yes sir!!! Two or three different "Voices" every day livens things up sweetly.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
having three wonderful guitars makes it that much more fun.

Yes sir!!! Two or three different "Voices" every day livens things up sweetly.

drowlins

Reaction score
I didn't play for 20 years, raising a family and starting a career kind of took up all my time. Plus I figured I was too old.
Then my eldest son expressed interest in guitar after discovering my 60's 70's record collection. (Yes, records!) I bought him a Squire Strat and of course had to show him some chords. I guess the bug bit again because my son couldn't get his guitar out of my hands. All those old riffs came flooding back.
We fixed up my old 64 M-20, and I decided to get serious about learning acoustic guitar. That was 8 years ago, and my stable has grown to 3 Guilds, 1 Martin, a six string banjo, and 2 mandolins. I play for 20 minutes in the morning during breakfast, and for an hour in the evening. I just can't not play every day, even if it's only for a few minutes.

drowlins

Reaction score
I didn't play for 20 years, raising a family and starting a career kind of took up all my time. Plus I figured I was too old.
Then my eldest son expressed interest in guitar after discovering my 60's 70's record collection. (Yes, records!) I bought him a Squire Strat and of course had to show him some chords. I guess the bug bit again because my son couldn't get his guitar out of my hands. All those old riffs came flooding back.
We fixed up my old 64 M-20, and I decided to get serious about learning acoustic guitar. That was 8 years ago, and my stable has grown to 3 Guilds, 1 Martin, a six string banjo, and 2 mandolins. I play for 20 minutes in the morning during breakfast, and for an hour in the evening. I just can't not play every day, even if it's only for a few minutes.

J45dale

Reaction score
I think it may be normal to stray away from any hobby from time to time. Once I put away my guitar for about 5 years after the death of a playing buddy. It was just painfull. After a big divorce, I did not want to be around sad songs for a while. But now that I am older and am much less emontional, (last 10 years) I tend to play almost every day for a few hours. I find the best trick is to leave guitars in every room of the house,as as this makes it eaiser and more tempting to just pick one up and play away a hour or two vs. turning on the TV.
Dale

J45dale

Reaction score
I think it may be normal to stray away from any hobby from time to time. Once I put away my guitar for about 5 years after the death of a playing buddy. It was just painfull. After a big divorce, I did not want to be around sad songs for a while. But now that I am older and am much less emontional, (last 10 years) I tend to play almost every day for a few hours. I find the best trick is to leave guitars in every room of the house,as as this makes it eaiser and more tempting to just pick one up and play away a hour or two vs. turning on the TV.
Dale