Guild Aspen 120

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a lead on a Guild Aspen 120, Don't know enough about it to justify driving 140 mi to look.

Picture I have makes it look similar to a Fender solid state amp maybe 80's vintage. I don't think I want another solid state amp, but a cool Tube amp might be good.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Jeff, I'm not going to rain on your parade because I've not played the Aspen 120. I have owned 2 Guild acoustic amps of the same era & manufacture (made by Randall) & I'd had higher hopes for them when I got them. Mine were both short lived here & both, in fact, ended up in Jay's hands. The Aspen model I had was a nice enough amp, but just didn't do it for me.

I've since gone with Trace Elliot for acoustic amplification.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
DKLS

Bummer, not the news I was hopin to hear. I'm still going to go up & give it a listen.

I originally bought a Fender acoustic amp & didn't like it much so I exchanged it for the Ultrasound. The dealer also offered Roland acoustic amps but I didn't like them either.

Trace Atkins was not in my vocabulary till recently. Maybe I'll stop off at Guitar Center on the way up & take a look. The will likely have one or two there.

I don't like to spend much time at Guitar center because of the cacophany(sp) (awful noise). Perhaps if I go early the kids normally hanging out there will be in school or still sleeping.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
I don't like to spend much time at Guitar center because of the cacophany(sp) (awful noise).

I don't like The Guitar Center much for the same reason. However, when I am traveling and the city I am in has one, then I can lock up in the High Dollar Acoustic Room and at least keep my fingers limber and and my caluses hard.

Also, I don't fit in too well because I have no tatoos!!!
:roll:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
DK,

You were right about the Aspen 120, I looked at it today. It's a pretty ok Decent soundin little amp. A bit dated

Has reverb & an ok chorus. In addition to the normal bass, mid & treb adjustments , it has a "plectron" ? adjustment which seems to tweak the ultra high range. a Notch filter & a couple other usefull & semi useful features.

It was in such good shape, spotless A+, with an original foot switch, nice dovetailed hardwood case, I couldn't turn it down for $200.00. Stopped off at "Trading Musician" in N Seattle & was offered 225 in trade on a vintage Fender amp.

Bought it from a Frenchman, leaving town to follow his girlfriend to Brussels.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey, that's funny Jeff. I bought my Crate CA-125D acoustic amp from a Frenchman (kid) who was going back to France and didn't want to bring the amp along & have it converted to 220VAC. Said something about needing the money for a plane ticket...

hey, did you get your D5CE yet :?:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dred,

Talked to the seller in Dallas yesterday. Sent him a cashier's check & of course his bank says they need a day or two to clear the check. Silly damned banks. Cashier's checks are as good as cash with banks & they know it. I make them credit me immediately when I deposit them. 90 seconds on the computer & they can tell if the check is genuine. Maybe it's because I've been doing business with the same bank for 30 years.

Bankers & Lawyers are of the same genetic ilk, there should be some guidance in the 10 commandments for dealing with them.

Anyway, I expect no problems, I was a little concerned about the weather in TX. National news painted a pretty wet picture. The seller has responded to everything promptly & take the care to keep me informed. Says he has shipped a dozen guitars successfully. I did ask him to make sure he reduced the tension on the strings.

Based on the results I'm gettin out of the cheap little pickup in my Classic guitar with ,my now two, acoustic amps I thinkin the Fishman is going to sound pretty nice for the money.