Set Lists

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dadgummed Metal,

With a moniker like "Metalman", I was expecting a bunch of heavy metal stuff. I can listen to what you play! Some good stuff.

West

Metalman

Reaction score
From the stage

Guildmark said:
Great list, Dennis! Any chance you could post the tunes as mp3's on a website like myspace.com or soundclick.com? We can always use a little inspiration. And there are plenty here who would love to hear that F30R!

Guildmark,

Great idea! As into Guild as I am, I am equally deficient in my computer skills when it comes to transferring music across the web. In other words, I don't know how to do that, but my son does. I will work on it, and make it available soon.

My engineer informs me that the first set came out great, but the disk for the second set had a problem, he can't transfer it, so its lost. That's not too bad, 'cause the first set, I played a lot better.

Dennis

Metalman

Reaction score
From the stage

West R Lee said:
Dadgummed Metal,

With a moniker like "Metalman", I was expecting a bunch of heavy metal stuff. I can listen to what you play! Some good stuff.

West

West,

Actually, the term "Metalman" comes from a nick name some studio installers gave me in my last job. I worked in a post-production facility in midtown Manhattan as a machinist, making modifications to all kinds of studio equipment. When I brought one of my finished jobs into the studio these guys from the outside, when told I was the company machinist, they referred to me as "Metalman". I took it as a compliment, as such it was meant to be.
I can fake my way around a heavy metal style for a little bit for fun, but that was the old days for me. I'll work on making this stuff available on the web, as soon as I can get my son to do it for me. I haven't a clue . . .

Dennis

HoboKen

Reaction score
Wow!

I can't believe how many songs I do that it seems all of you do to!
To semi-quote ole' John (God Rest his soul), "Farm Out!" "Out of State!" and "Right-Arm!" .....I'm not too much a product of the 60's now am I?

I love to do:

Using the DV-72 of JF-30.....
Did She Mention My Name, Summer Wages, Four Strong Winds, For Bobbie (the original version), Pack Up Your Sorows, Wings of Dove, Angel From Montgomery, ESPN (Modern Man), Oreo Cookie Blues, Back Home Again, Road to Kingdom Come, Paradise, I Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound, Last Thing On My Mind, Thirsty Boots, & Go Rest High On That Mountain.

Using the JF-55-12......
The Highwayman (Ochs), Ira Hays, Kentucky Babe, & My own 12-String Guitar Playin' Bug Blues, Talkin' Candy-Bar Blues, Hot Time In the Old Town Tonight (John Hurt), Green-Green, and Green-Back Dollar.

Using the Mark IV.....
Classical Gas, Freight Train, Wild Mountain Tyme, & Black Velvet Band,

Using the DeArmond Starfire Special.......
Sea of Hearbreak, Twilight Time, Dream, Dream, & Devil Woman.

Using the Deering 6-String Boston Banjo.....
My Rambling Boy, Island In the Sun, Jamica Fairwell, Oh Sail Away, Dueling Banjos, Rev. Mr. Black, & Desert Pete.

Using the Paul Beard Dobro......
Jambalya, MY Baby's Gone, Teach Your Children, and the song duos of Gold Watch & Chain/Shackles and Chains and Tuplo Honey/Girl From the North Country....they work!

AND IN OLD GEEZER FASHION..........when I play with my folk trio, "Over and Out" we end the evening with.....

"Old Bag of Bones":

Ken's hands talk to him when its ready to rain,
He had his medication and is feeling no pain,
When he gets like this he just feels like talking
He took some shrapnel in Viet Nam
Sometimes his mind seems gone, gone, gone
You gotta watch him then, or he'll take off walking

Chorus:
Well this old bag of bones ain't really me
There's a a lot more standing here than what you see
My back is bending low, but my spirit's flying free
And this old bag of bones ain't really me

Jim lives each day like its his last
Time won't keep, it goes so fast
He tries to do the best that he can do
He says life's a tune you whistle in the dark
When you get it right, you get a little spark
And the sun comes up and it dawns on you

Chorus....

These old bags of bones ain't really us
There's a lot more standing here than some old crust
Our feet are bond below, but our spirits are star-dust
And these old bags of bones ain't really us......

And that old bag of bones ain't really you!

Thank you very much for listening to us!
That's Jim, he's "Over."
That's Ken, he's "Out!"
And I'm Ralph, and I'm both over the hill and out to pasture with both of 'em!

HoboKen

Guild Dawg

Reaction score
Guild Total
My band and I (The Mudflapjacks - fiddle, mandolin, guitar, banjo, harmonica) played Aug. 26 at the Summer Shade Festival in Atlanta's Grant Park. Hotter 'n' hell all day and throughout our set, then right after we get off stage a thunderstorm drenches everybody and everything!

Enough with the sob story -- here's the setlist:

Down Yonder
Miner's Prayer (Dwight Yoakam)
Ball & Chain (Social Distortion)
Dead Flowers (Rolling Stones)
Folsom Prison Blues
Valentine's Day (Springsteen/HEM)
Give Back The Key To My Heart (Doug Sahm/Uncle Tupelo)
Winona (Matthew Sweet)
Octopus' Garden (Beatles)
Crazy Arms
Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
That's a set I'd like to hear! Especially Octopus's Garden with that instrumentation. Cool! Let us know if/when you have tunes available on the web.

Welcome aboard, Guild Dawg!
Post well. Post often.

Guild Dawg

Reaction score
Guild Total
Keeping the instruments dry was a concern. I handed my buddy a couple of big plastic garbage bags I brought for just such an occasion (so he could stuff his mandolin and fiddle cases inside -- the fiddle case was one of those microfiber-type jobbers). My other compatriot had an airline case for his guitar and a standard plywood case for his banjo, so I think he was okay. I threw my accessories in my carry bag, closed up my Guild plywood case and ran for high ground.

What I neglected to do later was remove the guitar from the case, not realizing how much water I'd taken on. Result: water dissolved some of the glue used to attach the padding inside the old case and my D-25M gets stuck inside the case. I screamed in horror like a 10-year-old girl. Luckily, I was able to gently free it from the case and easily removed the red felt fuzz with some Powerchord spray polish. Still ... (shudder)

Regarding formulating a setlist, one variable that hasn't been discussed is the vocalist. I sing for a rock band as well as a bluegrass band and there are some songs that really wear me out. I need a rest after singing "Hard to Handle" or "Mustang Sally," or my voice won't last through the gig. Songs that are challenging vocally have to conclude a set, be followed by a downtempo number or you switch vocal duties for a number or two.

Most advice I've heard about setlists (which are pretty important if you want to look like you know what you're doing) is to construct them based on the "rollercoaster ride." You want to start strong (not too slow, not too fast) build up to a thrilling highpoint, then back off and let everybody rest, then work your way up to another highpoint. Of course, you have to have a little time to do this. Not as great a strategy if you're only playing three or four songs as part of a showcase.

You always try to put yourself in the role of the audience and figure out what will move them. Sometimes you guess right, sometimes not. More alchemy than science. Two things the audience does not like to see on stage: excessive tuning and musicians standing around arguing about what song to play next.