Reaction score
Guild Total
I say we all go to Coastie's place- I've always wanted to go to NZ. :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Party At Coastie's Place

Coastie,

Judging by your silence, it's ok with you if we all come to your place next weekend for a jam session. I'll bring the Corona. Say..........7 pm Saturday night? :D

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gee whiz West, I didn't know you owned any Coronas... :D

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
This is an extract from the Snopes urban legends site, out of their post about royalty rights to "Happy Birthday":

'... as well, royalties are due for public performance, defined by copyright law as performances which occur "at a place open to the public, or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered." So, performing a copyrighted work in a public setting such as a restaurant or a sports arena technically requires a license from ASCAP or the Harry Fox Agency (although such infringements are rarely prosecuted).'

I, personally, have never heard of an actual prosecution taking place ..... ever. And copyright owners are far more concerned with internet traffic these days than cover bands. Call me an outlaw, but I'm gonna keep doing covers when I play out. Can I call on one of you guys to go my bail?

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thank you Guildmark and a quick appology to those that may be wondering what brought that comment from Guildmark in the first place.

I posted a question about royalties and whether or not bands needed to be concerned about them if they were out covering songs, as I read an article where a bar owner was being sued because of it.

Upon further reading I decided to delete my question, but thanks again for the reply Guild.

Graham

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Man, you don't know how glad I am you came back, Graham! :D
After I posted that response I didn't see the original question anymore, so I thought I'd posted the response in the wrong Subject. I've been going through the whole dang LTG Forum trying to find where I should've put the response! Thought I was One Gone Geezer!

Whew!

:D :D :lol: :shock: :wink: :D

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Re: Set list; Equipment list

Guildmark said:
www.soundclick.com/markhermann

Excellent stuff there Mark. You own that 12 string man.

I have a Seagull 12 that's been sitting collecting dust. I have to change the strings, clean it up and start strumming that again. Beautiful cedar top gives it a very warm tone, thanks again.

Graham :D

Reaction score
set list

I'm new to this Forum so I hope you will cut me some slack. Here's a set list for a concert I just worked. I doubled (or tripled?) on pedal steel guitar, vocal and lead w/DE400.

If You Could Read My Mind
Crazy
Route 66
It's So Easy
Flesh & Blood
Crazy Arms
Tosin & Turnin
Bad Leroy Brown
Think it Over
True Love Ways
Sleepwalk
Runaway
Margaretaville

Not neccessarly in that order but an average 1st set then start to crank it up the rest of the evening.

George
Duluth, MN USA

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
How do you go about putting a set list together?

Not just listing the songs that you play, but in what order? Do you try to build a mood(s)? Do you come out up tempo then tone it down and bring it back up at the end?

What is the thought process for building a good set list?

Graham

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:D I had the opportunity to sit about 30 feet from James Taylor a few years ago. He is one of my all time favorites. Anyway, about an hour or so into the concert, he did an intro for a new song. He said, "here's a new song that I wrote", hesitated for a moment, and said, "sounds just like all the other ones".

I thought about it just a moment, and most of his songs do sound a little redundant, but it doesn't matter to him. Or me.

My point is, that when I have played these little gigs lately, I've given it a lot of thought. Should I do a faster song, followed by a slower one? Heck, it doesn't matter, just play! :wink: Then again, I have my hands full.....just playing, no pun intended.

West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham,

The answer to your questions is, "Yes."
1. You're limited to what you know.
2. You can try to lay them out to set a mood. (Good luck on this one if you're playing Canadian taverns - especially in Alberta.)
3. You can try to lay them in order according to theme or topic.
4. You can lay them out in key signatures that blend from one to the next. (This is useful if you have absolutely nothing to say between songs.)
5. You can do all requests, or even the same song - over, and over, and over, and over, depending on whether the requestor is armed.
6. You can play what the audience wants to hear - to raise your tips
7. You can seek to raise public consciousness with protest songs (the Alberta hint applies here, too).
8. You can just copy Neil Young's set from the concert he did in your town most recently.

No kidding, though, I think set lists are an art, themselves. Try hard not to get in front of the audience and say "Gee, what should I do next?" Plan it. Plans can always be changed. In my usual coffee house, bookstore setting, they just don't want it loud. One trick I employ is to organize the mp3's of my songs in a setlist order, then just play the beginning and ending of each song to see how I like the transition. If you don't have your repertoire recorded - do it. Lay out any setlist you have and practice playing it as planned in front of a tape recorder - then listen to it. Is it smooth? Is it too contrasty? Is it snuggly? Is it caustic?

And then when you get it all laid out, you'll arrive at the gig, tape the written list to your mike stand or amplifier or floor, and you'll immediately get three requests for songs that aren't on your list. Nor will you know them. Go with the flow, Dude!

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
Graham,

5. or even the same song - over, and over, and over, and over, depending on whether the requestor is armed.

I think I'll go with this one, takes all of the heat off of me.

Actually I'm going away to a cottage the beginning of March and I want to bring my guitar and play, probably along with the recordings that I have on my laptop, maybe a couple without any accompanyment. I have never played in front of anyone 'cept my wife and I'm just practicing when she's been near.

I thought about putting a couple of lists together on the computer and letting them play to hear how it flows, so perahps that's what I'll do.

Graham

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The good thing about playing wives is that they are always pressing you to.............................."learn something new"! "Ok, you've got that one down fairly well honey, could we try a new one?" :x

West

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth West. The first song I tried to play completly was "Bad Timing" by Blue Rodeo. My wife and I both liked it a lot.

Me, as the player getting better and better at it felt some gratification, she, the listener got very tired of hearing it :cry:

I'm thiking to myself that any musician that plays for their living must have one hell of a repetitive life. Create the song, perfect it (never happens I'm sure) and then play it over and over for the fans. It's easy to sit back as a fan or even a guitar hack and get some joy out of your progress, but the musicians don't have it as easy as it looks. From where I'm sitting anyway.

Graham

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Imagine how difficult it would be to show the same level of enthusiasm on each and every song when you played it the night before, and the night before that. A thousand times.

That is one thing that has always amazed me about professionals.

West

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Went to a concert last night. Jim Cuddy (Blue Rodeo) with Justin Rutledge. This was the last date of their mini tour and the energy was just incredible. Could be that it was the last show, but we've seen Blue Rodeo about 6 times and they always seem to be having a great time. Always felt as if the show was worth it.

There is something to be said for professionalism.

Graham

yettoblaster

Reaction score
Graham said:
How do you go about putting a set list together?

Not just listing the songs that you play, but in what order? Do you try to build a mood(s)? Do you come out up tempo then tone it down and bring it back up at the end?

What is the thought process for building a good set list?

Graham

No two songs in a row in the same key.
No two minor songs in a row.

Otherwise they'll say, "Everything sounds the same."

Start with stuff you're strong with, and end sets that way too.

If they're inclined to throw stuff, use a solidbody guitar! :wink:

Metalman

Reaction score
Set List

Fellas,

Here is a sample set list I do. I play all instrumental, kinda like Tommy Emanuel, Acoustic Alchemy, etc. For live gigs, which runs from local coffee houses, to restaurants, I am usually on my F-30R, outfitted with a Fishman Rare Earth Blend, and to give my fingers and the audience a change of pace, I jump on my Yamaha CGX-177 nylon stringed, with the onboard electronics. Most of the time, I plug straight into the house PA.

The songs listed are all performed instrumentally, and are my own arrangements. On my last gig (Friday Jan. 12) I recorded all of these, hope to have it on CD in a few months.

Here is a sample set list:

SET ONE:
The Story In Your Eyes
Bus Stop
I’m Looking Through You
Catch A Wave
Maybe I’m Amazed
Chariots Of Fire
What A Friend We Have In Jesus
Be Still (orig.) C#m
Late For Church (orig.)
Martha, My Dear
My Favorite Things
Do-Re-Me
Holy, Holy, Holy (traditional. hymn)

SET TWO:
Signe A
Besame Mucho Dm
Under The Boardwalk G
Sange Sange G
Somewhere Over The Rainbow C
Penny Lane A
Man With The Green Thumb A
We Can Work It Out D
Sgt. Pepper’s – A Day In The Life
Good Day Sunshine A
Dance With Me D

Dennis

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Great list, Dennis! Any chance you could post the tunes as mp3's on a website like myspace.com or soundclick.com? We can always use a little inspiration. And there are plenty here who would love to hear that F30R!