Set Lists

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
yeah, West, there's not enough "o's" in "smooth" to describe South City Midnight Lady. Some bands have one defining song, this is theirs. :)

Reaction score
Many Beatles: inc, Honey Pie, Rocky Racoon, Back in the USSR, Here Comes the Sun.. Simon with and without Garfunkle: April Come She Will (in 3/4), Only Liivng Boy in New York, Me and Julio Down by the School Yard,,,, Rocket Man, Sweet Painted Lady, Bennie and the Jets, Java Jive, Summertime, Route 66, Conventionaires (BNL) Misty,

I play:
1976 F-50 blond jumbo, I bought brand new...
1960 X-350 archtop, blond, pawn shop....
ancient Yamaha FG230 12 string Produced for Japaneese market, I only use it for Norwegan Wood.

I play through a Fender Passport pa, and an old Fender delux reverb with tubes, chrome face plate.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Set list; Equipment list

Most recent set at a local bookstore:

Don't Think Twice - Bob Dylan
Did She Mention My Name - Gordon Lightfoot
Part of the Plan - Dan Fogelberg
Yes I Can - Valdy (Canadian)
Pamela Brown - Tom T. Hall
Mary Ellen Carter - Stan Rogers (Canadian)
When I Get Over You - Venice (Sons of the Lennon Sisters)
These Days - Jackson Browne
The Boxer - Paul Simon
Lucky Touch - B.W. Stephenson
Medley (Peter & Gordon; Chad & Jeremy): Summer Song/World Without Love/Go to Pieces/Yesterday's Gone
Medley: Most of All / Lyiin' Eyes
I'm Not Sayin' - Gordon Lightfoot
End of the Innocence - Bruce Hornsby
Fields of Gold - Sting
Grandma's Feather Bed - John Denver
Matthew - John Denver
Late Night Radio - John Denver
Shanghai Red - Dean Clark Hall
I'm Not Sayin' - Gordon Lightfoot
Waltzing Matilda - A.B. "Banjo" Patterson
Very Last Day - PP&M

My principal axe is my 12-string - a Guild G312NT, which I bought new in 1978. It has the original, factory-installed Barcus-Berry Hot Dots mounted in the bridge. I also still use the original Barcus-Berry pre-amp and cord it came with. A couple of years ago I added a Guild D-55 to the arsenal. I'm fooling around on autoharp and a new mandolin I got for Christmas from my family. Once in a while my daughter lets me play her Strat!

Nice to be aboard!
http://www.soundclick.com/markhermann

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed that Mark. Listened to "Don't Think Twice" (I play that one too), nicely done finger picking. I also listened to "End of the Innocence"....that was good too. Those 12's sound great, don't they?

Thanks,
West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Love those 12's!

Thanks for the listen!

I had a Washburn 12 for a number of years until I could afford the Guild. Can't really imagine playing anything else anymore. Especially since I learned the value of a proper set up by a good luthier. My friend, Wonderquat, who also just registered here, is another dedicated Guild player. We play at a local open mic every Tuesday night and take all the good-nature jibes from all the Taylor owners - which is just about every one else there! But guys ask to examine our guitars a lot more often than anyone else's. Go figure!

Cheers!

Reaction score
The Guild club vs the Taylor club is, as Guildmark says, a good natured rivalry. None of us would discount the beauty in sound and craftsmanship, but the tone from the Guilds carry a much richer bass than any Taylor I've heard. We usully have to turn the bass down on the PA when I plug in my F50 Jumbo blond (Sounds like a bad date)... The only guitar that stacks up to the Guilds that come to our gig is a 1968 Martin that shows up once in a while.

When I took a jazz class the teacher looked at my giant Guild case and it was the first guitar in the class that he "had to see". I bought it when I was 17 years old, and then it was far more guitar than I deserved. I think I am approching that mark now.......

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Wonder,

You know we've spent a good amount of time here knocking Taylor, but something has always told me that there must be something redeeming about them, otherwise so many professional artists wouldn't play them. I have seen some that are truly beautiful, all of them upper end Taylors, 700 series and above. The lower end models seem to leave something to be desired in terms of craftmanship to me, especially the 100-400 series.

In terms of sound, I have played a few and heard many Taylors. Some of the upper end models sound very good to me, with sparkling highs, but no bass. But regardless of the model, one thing that I could not put my finger on was pointed out to me by a member here. He had just listened to a Doyle Dykes performance which I had posted here, and they don't get any more upper end than what Doyle plays, not to mention that players themselves don't get any better. Smith asked me if I had noticed how....for lack of a better word...twangy they sounded. It's true, as well as those guitars were played by that man, they all had this twang to them.

I have never played or heard a Westerly built Guild guitar that I did not like. They sound great across the board, from jumbo to mini-jumbo to dread. From upper end to lower. Quality guitars from the day they were born and only getting better.

West

drowlins

Reaction score
I have played very few public gigs, but my confidance is growing. Some of the songs on my last solo outing:

Angel-Pure prairie league
Early morning riser-PPL
Aimee- PPL
Wildfire-Micheal Martin Murphy
Beside you- original
Life song-Original in DADGAD
Johnnys' Garden-Manassas
So begins the task-manassas
It doesn't matter-Manassas
Ballad of easy rider-Byrds
Bugler-Byrds
Bop-Dan Seals
We just disagree-Mason (his first name escapes me)
She's crazy for leaving-Rodney Crowell
Riding out the storm-Rodney Crowell
Amarillo by morning-George Strait
That's the way love goes-Merle Haggard
Mama tried-Merle Haggard

I have about a hundred more I can do to mix it up. CC&N, Neil young Buffallo Springfield, Flying Burrito Bros, Firefall, Gordon Lightfoot, and many country artists.
If it's acoustic, I love it. :lol:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
LTG"Boost of the Day"

I got to looking at all the set lists a little closer this morning.

Noticed Guildmark's "Soundclick Site", West had mentioned "Don't Think Twice" so I went looking for it.

I found the Key right away (an absolute miracle!!, "Thank you Jesus" :D ) I had a nice half hour Jamming with Mark this morning. I started playing Don't Think Twice in my teens.

Turns out my DV 62 doesn't sound half bad with Mark's 12 string backing it up. Played around with some simple leads & had a glorious time. 8)

Got me out of a slump, my picking has been miserable for the last week or 10 days. No magic, I think it's been a low ebb in the Lunar cycle or something similar??

Thanks for the Post Guildmark, nice job on the site, & the rap West.

Jeff

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
man, I love "Early Mornin' Riser" and "Aimee" too. We like to do "Pickin' to Beat the Devil" and "I'll Fix Your Flat Tire, Merle", too.

Saw Michael Martin Murphy back in '78 with Emmy Lou Harris and the Hot Band, quite a show, on a riverboat. :D :D :D

That reminds me, I've been wanting to look up one of Murphy's old songs and learn it, "Geronimo's Cadillac". Anybody do that one?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

I play that in "C". Glad you are enjoying "Don't Think Twice".

Dred,

"I can still see all your sunlight shine before the dawn. First light morning feelin', got me losin' so much sleep I just can't say how much I miss you when your gone."......................I play that one in "G" :D

My favorite PPL, but I love all of them you mentioned. Heck, I forgot to mention my meager PPL stuff.

Ya'll have a good one....got to go to a meeting :cry:

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West. I play it in C as well, but Guildmark plays it in D. So, capo up two frets & "Viola" key of D.

Still amazing myself I figured out so fast if at all.

Ear is getting better, Perhaps it's because I have developed a religious habit of using hearing protection around loud machinery over the past few years.

Still, I cut a load of firewood the other day & even with hearing protection my ears were "flat" & ringing a bit for several hours afterwards.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes Jeff, I know what you mean. I specialize in large reciprocating compressors, and have worked on them for 26 years, so loud noise is something I have become very accustomed to. I've always worn ear protection, but my hearing has suffered greatly as a lot of sound is actually transmitted through the bones in your head. Not to mention that plugs don't filter out everything. I still can appreciate guitar though :) .

Pretty excited about that too, since I've just found out that Doyle Dykes will be here in October. Man, I'm pumped!

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
West, I've taken to doing "Early Mornin' Riser" in E, where you play a natural E on the 7th fret, it's kinda pretty there.

Same place I play "Cosmic Cowboy". :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'll try that Dredster. Thanks. You know, sometimes I've just got to find a place that this not so versatile voice will work. Sort of a combination of Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan with a little Neil Young on a bad day thrown in for good measure, just not quite that good........quite captivating. My beagle loves it!

West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff! I'm feeling flattered as all get out! Thinkin' that someone's jamming on one of my recorded covers...Man, that's just too cool! Makes me wish someone was doing that at my gigs! I play an open mike every Tuesday night and often one or two of the other regulars will get up and harmonize on the vocals, but it'd be fun to have a second guitar providing some additional interest, too.

Have you ever recorded a tune "long distance", with each player adding their track from their own local studio or even their home? I have a few friends scattered across the continent with whom I've been toying with this idea. Could be great, or could be a complete cluster.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said

but it'd be fun to have a second guitar providing some additional interest.

That's what I said to myself when I heard you start picking that 12 on Don't Think Twice. Got up immediately & picked the DV 62 off the wall
A few minutes later we wuz jammin. 8)

The two guitars together was more interesting, at least from my end, & a bunch of fun.

Sound bites from members pop up in the posts from time to time & I've started to pay attention to the links more. For me to reciprocate I'd have to invest in a bit of a learning curve a probably a few hundred for gear.

If it's as much fun as the recent emphasis on posting pictures it'd probably be worth the effort.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
maybe we should all get together at some central location and have a jam session :D

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dred,

I heading for Lewistown, Montana in another week or so, to look at a couple Contemporary Series Guilds & spend a day or three fishing.

We could all meet in the Badlands of the Dakota's somewhere & jam our socks off without hurting anybody. Might want to brush up on a few cowboy songs.

Actually, I bought a Roy Rogers CD a while back, http://www.music.msn.com/artist/?artist=16070562

Ya have to be in the proper frame of mind for Roy Rogers & the Sons of the Pioneers. Every once in a while !!!!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Great idea Dred, I just don't know how central we can get to Michigan, Washington, New Zealand, Arizona, The Netherlands, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and so on. :lol:

It really does sound like a bunch of fun though. Hey, how about one of my favorite places..........Santa Fe, they appreciate acoustic guitar there! :wink:

West