Set Lists

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, Guild-o-philes, how about sharing some of the songs from one of your recent set lists? I'll start:

"Bring it on Home to Me"
"Third Rate Romance"
"Drift Away"
"Nights in White Satin"
"Willin'"
"Crazy"
"Steamroller Blues"
"John Law Burnt Down the Liquor Sto'"
"Little Runaway" (Yeah, my rythym man Terry sings high)
"Ain't Misbehavin"
"Stormy Monday Blues"
"Let's Work Together"
"Four and Twenty"
"Goin' to California" (on the F-512 of course)
"Paradise"
"As Tears go By"
"Wooden Ships"

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'll say. I bet there's close dancin when you play "Crazy".

Willie Nelson is still getting good money on that tune. He should anyway.

I can't sing worth sour Owl ears so I'm trying to get a nice insturmental thing goin. I'll keep you all posted if there's a breakthrough.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Obviously, we don't have a lot of original material, but all those covers are so much fun :D

Want to have some fun? Try Bad Company's "Feel Like Makin' Love" on your Guild acoustic in the gear of "E"

Reaction score
Set lists

Dred -- I'll share one of our sets from the Texas Scottish Festival, but it really won't do much good as they are either original Smithfield Fair tunes or traditional Scottish - but then there's a surprise or two. Understand, though that this is only one of 8 sets we did that June weekend. Great crowds, hot, but constant breeze and wonderful people.

Wha'll be King But Cherlie? (Traditional)
Catch the Wind (Donovan - he's a Scot, you know)
Perseverence/Glen Logie (Original instrumental/traditional song)
Wild Mountain Thyme (Traditional)
Mull of Kintyre (Wings)
Greyfriar's Bobby (original)
James of the Glen (original)
Take the Caravan & Go (original)
Longships (original)
All Around My Hat (Traditional)

Interestingly, though, when I'm sitting around in the study - I have a batch of songs I LOVE to play...just some insight into how I got where I am...

Buy For Me The Rain (Steve Noonan/Nitty Gritty Dirt Band)
Sunset Woman (Dave Loggins)
Everything That Touches You (Terry Kirkman/The Association)
South City Midnight Lady (Patrick Simmons/The Doobie Brothers)
Streets of the Harbor (Jimmie Spheeris)
Norwegian Wood (John Lennon/The Beatles)
On A Quiet Night (P.F.Sloan/The Association)
For Roach (Jimmie Spheeris)
Fascist Architecture (Bruce Cockburn)
Here Comes The Sun (Lennon & McCartney/Richie Havens)

There are some more, but that gives you an idea - I go for the uncommon. dbs

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Re: Set lists

SmithfieldFair said:
Streets of the Harbor (Jimmie Spheeris)
For Roach (Jimmie Spheeris)

Good God Ya'll. I am stunned that anybody else remembers Jimmie Spheeris!!!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Smith, I play on occasion with a young protoge' (early 20's) fiddle & mandolin player who would likely know the songs in your first set, his name is Luke Lenhart. He's so good, I hate the little *#@%!!

South City Midnight Lady, now there's probably the finest song ever done by the Doobies :D . Great album, The Captain & Me. We love to do "Dark-eyed Cajun Woman", I do (my own interpretation of) the guitar lead on that one.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ok Ok,

Ya'll know I'm no pro, but what I play is usually a bunch of Jimmy Buffett, some Neil Young, some Michael Johnson, John Prine, Eagles....stuff like that. Ony do a couple of origionals....both written for my wife.

Also Don McLean, Willis Alan Ramsey, PPL, a little Alabama, B.W. Stevenson....ect.

If I had to pick one artists music that I enjoy and do the most of, it would be Jimmy Buffett.

West

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
I had forgotten, but now I remember a Jimmy Spheeris album, I think it had an artists rendition of a gold dragon on the cover.

CK

PS - Dudley, next time you see Bruce Odell tell him you want to check out his new guitar!

bobgoblin

Reaction score
Work Song: D. Ellington
Beautiful Love: V. Young
Georgia: R. Charles
Freddie the Freeloader: M. Davis
Walk Tall: Nat "Cannonball" Adderly
Blue Bossa: the author escapes me at the moment...

this was the 50 minute set I did w/the boys at the Lubbock Arts Festival...

Reaction score
Set - match point

Knee -- Could have either been "Isle of View" (my guess) with an etching in yellow-gold of a man riding some sort of beast (eagle head & wings - Gryphon) or it could have been "The Dragon Is Dancing" with a dragon tatoo on Jimmie's back for the cover. The first came out in about 71-72 and the latter while we were at "A". Both great - the first is INCREDIBLE music. Did Bruce get a new guitar? I'll watch for him - usually see him when he comes to BR to visit Barnes & Noble where his daughter works.

West - missed you in Arlington. Did you get out? It was hot fun and some sizzling music played. As far as those artists, I have at times played B.W. Stevenson (sad story - talented man), Willis Allen Ramsey, Eagles, Neil Young, Prine - lots of things - but never played any Buffett. Sorry, I have to remain the odd man out on that. Never liked his music - just never touched me. Though we did used to play the same Florida and Gulf Coast clubs back in the 70's - always seemed there had been a riot there judging by the condition of the place if we followed him in there. Ardent fans, for sure.

Dred -- I concur about that period from the Doobies. I liked the later incarnations, but the early albums with Dave Shogren on bass and then replaced by Tiran Porter and the addition of 2nd drummer Michael Hossack were great times. "Toulouse Street" and the "Captain & Me" were their best. And then...the addition of Skunk Baxter - man what a player. Did you ever notice he wore a Scottish bonnett (called a Balmoral) with his clan (family) badge on the side. Very cool!

P - We're slowly moving more toward our original material, but playing Scottish/Celtic music is still what pays the light bills. We'll be playing with Henri's Notions from your neck of the woods a couple of times this year. A great band! If you don't know them, watch for them and go out and catch them. Your young Mr. Lenhart would enjoy them - they include 2 fiddles, concertina, flute, bass, guitar, mandolin and percussion with some VERY nice vocals. As for Spheeris - what brilliance. I was stunned that he was killed in 1984 - ploughed under by a drunk driver the night he finished mixing his 5th album. His bassist - Johnny Pierce - recently died of cancer, but before that - he got Sony Special Projects to let him release all 5 of Jimmie's albums on CD and a live un-released album Jimmie gave Johnny the master for years ago. You can find them on E-bay.

We also used to play Pure Prairie League, J.J. Cale, Hamilton-Joe Frank& Reynolds/Dennison, Michael Stanley, Kenny Rankin, America, CSN & sometimes Y, Hall & Oates (Abandoned Luncheonette), Nilsson, Badfinger, Little River Band, Batdorf & Rodney, Dan Fogelberg, Poco, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and many more.....yeah - we've always been eclectic. dbs

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Smith,

Yes, we missed Arlington. So sorry, we were looking forward to it. That was the same weekend that Three Dog Night played here. My wife's business had to do a bunch of work for the festival here last weekend, and I knew Arlington was going to be tough to make. She didn't finish until around noon that Saturday. She and I were pretty ragged out afterward. The drive to Arlington was out of the question. Don't feel bad, we had front row seats for Three Dog Night and didn't make them either!

By the way, I can't get into the newer Buffett stuff either. The old stuff is what I like to play........The Wino and I Know, Brahma Fear, Come Monday, of course Margaritaville, Spider John, Son of a Son of a Sailor,
The Captain and the Kid. The good old stuff.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Smith, I sent you a private message about having missed you....apparently I hit a wrong button.

West

Reaction score
Getting old...

West - Believe me, I understand...but missed Three Dog Night? Wow! I mean, I can understand that, but even without Chuck Negron, that would be something to see. I mean, they have Jimmy Greenspoon and Michael Allsup from the original line-up. Drummer Floyd Sneed was with Negron for a while, but not anymore. What a great sound - what great harmonies.

But, let me tell you this - after a day in that Arlington heat and hot, dry wind, man was I ready to crash. We ate, went back to the hotel, showered and sat in stunned numbness changing strings and resting up for the second day of it. After the scond day playing multiple sets in that heat....wow! the 7-hour drive home was tough. So, believe me -- I do understand. Hopefully, we'll be back sometime in the fall and I'll let you know. best...dbs

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Smith,I always did like Baxter's hat but I didn't know the significance of it -
saw the Doobies in 1973 or 74 right after the "vices" release. My roommate in the Navy was from Visalia, CA, he says "my sister is Tom Johnston's girlfriend, we went to the same high school". I said "Right, then take me backstage so I can shake his hand". Well that didn't happen but I'll be darned if his sister didn't end up getting married to him (and since divorced), but I digress. Great concert, rowdy as hell, bikers galore, San Diego Sports Arena, REO Speedwagon opened the show. The Doobies had lots of pyrotechnics and always were a really tight band, they rocked. On the way to the Arena we saw the "Doobieliner" parked on the runway at the airport.

Anyway, I agree, Captain and Toulouse are the best.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dred,

Funny you should say that. If I had to pick an all time favorite album (CD), it would be "The Captain and Me"!

West

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
ok, here's a partial set list from my bluegrass band "Pickin' Grace":

Ill Fly Away
Go Down to the River and Pray (Alison Krause)

Washed in the Blood
Power in the Blood
(Our medley of these 2 songs is called "Powerwashed in the Blood)

Man of Constant Sorrow(Soggy Bottom Boys aka Alison Krause & Union Station)
The Old Crossroads(Stanley Bros.)
Pickin' to Beat the Devil (Pure Prairie League)
Orange Blossom Special
Why Me, Lord(Kris Kristofferson)
Dueling Banjos
Halfway Home Cafe(Ricky Skaggs)
Me and Jesus(Tom T. Hall)
Paradise (John Prine)

billydlight

Reaction score
The Billy D. Light trio Plays a mix of cover and originals

Treat her right (Roy Head)
Rock around the clock
Walk don't run
Massacre on Gorilla beach (original instrumental)
Cracka Jack (Joe Clay)
Wait on Time (Fabulous Thunderbirds)
Everybody's tryin to be my Baby (Carl Perkins)
Rock this Town (Stray Cats)
Maybe Baby (Buddy Holly)
Doin Time Again (original)
20 Shots of Courage (original)
Pride and Joy/Hideaway (Stevie Ray/Freddie King)

This is a sample of what we might play in our 1st set of the night.
check us out at
http://www.billydlight.com

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ok, I don't really do "sets", but when we do our little jam sessions, or around the house, I play:

Old Man (CSNY)
Needle and the Damage Done (CSNY)
4 + 20 (CSNY)
On My Own (B.W. Stevenson)
Brahma Fear (Buffett)
Woman Goin' Crazy on Caroline Street (Buffett)
Wonder Why We Ever Go Home (Buffett)
The Captain and the Kid (Buffett)
Margaritaville (Buffett)
Son of a Son of a Sailor (Buffett)
The Wino and I Know (Buffett)
Give Me Wings (Michael Johnson)
Wide Open Spaces (Dixie Chicks)
American Pie (Don MacLane sp?)
Moonshadow (Cat Stevens)
My Home's in Alabama (Alabama)
Dixie Land Delight (Alabama)
Fire on the Mountain (Marshall Tucker Band)
Can't You See (MTB)
24 Hours at a Time (MTB)
In My Own Way (MTB)
Long Haired Country Boy (Charlie Daniels Band)
Blue Sky (Allman Brothers)
For My Wife (Origional)
Willin' ( Whoever...Little Feat, Linda Ronstadt)
Peaceful Easy Feelin' (Eagles)
Seven Bridges (Eagles...Poco)
Take it Easy (Eagles)
Paradise (Prine)
Illegal Smile (Prine)

.............and none of them well!

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
"South City Midnight Lady" might be my all-time favorite song. The Doobs have a fairly recent release on DVD called "Rockin down the Highway: The Wildlife Concert". It is extremely well done in both audio and video. It is primarily a recording of a concert done in New York, but has songs from another concert done with Michael McDonald. Great rendition of "South City Midnight Lady". For you Doobie fans, it is a must.

West