Stuff we listen to ??????

Reaction score
Jackson Browne

West -- Back in the day - I was a big Jackson Browne fan - from Saturate Before Using on to Running on Empty. Then, he left me cold with his preaching and political angst. O, the whole nuclear thing was understandable, but then it just seemed like he was ranting about everything. Every liberal cause became lyric fodder. And the songs, just didn't speak to me. You have to remember that Browne was a big advocate of the cult leader who built a big city on stilts out in the dessert to save the smart ones when the "great deluge" came. It never has - there was no real scientific proof that such a flood was actually coming. But Browne believe it and wrote "After the Deluge". Wasn't this the same lad who castigated Crosby for "Wooden Ships" fencing back with "For Everyman"? To me, Jackson Browne became an overtly-political, liberal with a mission - to turn every musical outing into a whining protest session. So, I quit listening to him. Then, one day I found For Everyman on CD and remembered the great acoustic music - before his outcries reached an obnoxious level. Later I bought The Pretender and Late for the Sky. But, I stopped there. Then, John Kidder recommended Browne's "Solo Acoustic One" and with some trepidation, I purchased it. It is a tremendous work by a very capable artist. O, he still makes the odd snide remark, but it's edited well enough together that most of the banter is kept to humorous bits. It heightens the music and he's a very capably guitarist and pianist - a true stylist. I'm able to listen and not be bludgeoned to death with his political stands - whether I agree with him or not - I don't need some Los Angeles, liberal high school graduate to espouse how I'm supposed to live my life and save the world. When this happens - he becomes nearly as much a joke as Alec Baldwin. If I wanted political commentary - there are much more valid and qualified sources than a singer-songwriter. O, I believe you can call attention to injustice and problem, but understand that's not why the majority of people come to hear live music. I think it's one of the reasons that Browne's popularity waned so over the last 20 years.

Solo Acoustic 1 is a great little album and if he's careful with his stance, I will even purchase Solo Acoustic 2 whenever it comes out. I just don't need Jackson to tell me how to think. The music's great and left to that, I can enjoy it.

Jeff - I loved Running on Empty when new and saw the tour. I understand the new edition has some nice extras - more music. But, I also saw the sticker price and thought I'd wait until it came back down to earth. The band on that tour was phenomenal - Lindley, Doerge, Hayes, Sklar, Butler, Kunkle, Kootch and the rest - didn't seem it could get much better.

dbs

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Smith,

No problem, I value your opinion. I just hadn't heard anything out of old Jackson in a while and wondered what Acoustic Solo was all about.

I'm going to try to stay out of the political stuff here as I sometimes get a little emotional and frustrated. Things like "Global Warming"...Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it weren't for global warming, wouldn't we still be in the "Ice Age"? And if Man evolved from apes....why are there still apes?

West

Reaction score
Second chances

West - All politics and soapboxing aside (mine is, as all can now see, musicians who cross the line and use the stage given them for music for their own soapboxes)...I think Solo Acoustic One can reaffirm for Jackson Browne what a great catalogue of songs he has and what a unique opportunity he's been given to share them with so many people. The album is recorded in an exceptionally clean and straightforward manner and his performances are exemplary in most cases. If you like Jackson Browne - here's a good one.

Ah, music...it allows us to be lifted up, out of the everyday troubles and, at least for a few moments, be picked up and dusted off and set back up standing. I think it is one of the greatest blessings given to mankind.

Now, I think I'll go and play some....dbs

bobgoblin

Reaction score
currently,

little charlie & the nightcats: nine lives

charlie parker: the complete verve recordings

tiger army: the early years e.p.

gotta keep it diverse, no?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Stevie Ray Vaughn

It was either Jim Croce or Stevie Ray at Costco's music section. Red voted for Stevie.

White boys playing the blues don't get much better. 33 cuts. Haven't heard the whole thing yet. I keep backin up to listen to the last track over again.

Some nice, nice stuff. Get down panty droppin blues. Only thing missin is the smell of stale beer, cigarettes & the odor from the men's room driftin about.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Jeff you sure know how to paint a pretty picture!

WRL - You got what ya call your natural events ( ice age change ) and your man made disasters ( global warming). There is a big difference.
Re: Apes. 'cause some didn't evolve. I ain't pointing any fingers but......... :lol:

Benee Wafers

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
WRL

Only human being I know decended from apes is my brother in law.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
try Kaiser-Mansfield, "Slow Burn" and "Trimmed & Burnin" albums, Gospel Blues, excellent old stuff from Rev. Gary Davis, etc. redone.

And its all acoustic :D

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Willie the Wimp

Anybody recall Stevie Ray doing "Willie the Wimp" and his Cadillac Coffin.

Lyrics are a masterpiece.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ain't none of you geezers listen to the Kingstons no mo'?

Well from the old and out of it to the latest and greatest. His name is Johnny A. Just the last initial. His real name is probably something the younger generation can't figure out how pronounce. Like Anderson.
This guy is so good that _ibson made a Johnny A. model guitar after Johnny (or Mr. A.) had only one album out. He would be famous if he weren't so creepy looking--like he ought to be reported to the public health department.

Here is a pic from his site. I think the guy on the right is actually Coastie.
http://www.johnnya.com/images/photos/sum_namm.jpg

Also, hear these here:
Danny Gatton, Merle Travis, Junior Brown, Lenny Breau, Buddy Emmons, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Herb Ellis, Wishbone Ash, Son Seals, John Renbourn, Ronnie Earl, Duke Robillard, Kenny Burrell, Speedy West, Joe Maphis, Jimmy Bryant, Pierre Bensusam, Gabor Szabo, Bert Jansch.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What an appalling slur !!!!!!!!!
Coastie wouldn't be seen DEAD in a Schmibson shirt !
Put a big hooter on the joker on the left and you could about pass him off as Pete Townshend's brother !

Q...... So who would he look like with two hooters ?
Happily, no woman I know !

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
What in the heck is a Schimbson shirt? This dialect business is all in your favor. You get swamped with American English, but all we get in America from NZ is fjord photos.

If you put two hooters on him, he'd look like an old bald chick sucking a stogie.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Various Fjord models are very popular on NZ roads.
Gonorrhoel Motors have an Oz-tralian plant which supplies our market and Howdies, Mercy Dees and other Eurocars are a common sight.
One even sees the odd Vulva
But of course, the greatest majority of cars on NZ roads are of Japanese manufacture: Toy Eaters, Super Roos, Bitchy Missies, Nissouts, High Undies etc. etc.

Pity your average Kiwi isn't a better driver though !

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
All right, Toastie. You've thrown down the pun gauntlet. And yours are quite advanced but not to everyone's taste--not at all alimentary.

My high school picking pal once told me, "Your mother worked in a hat factory, and she made a hat an hour."

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
What are you listening to?

It used to be, "What's your sign?"
Now it's, "What's on your iPod?"

I've discovered several new individuals and bands worth listening to this year. There are a lot of indie players on soundclick.com, where I maintain a site, myself. But check out a player who calls himself "bigthumb". He's got some very nice acoustic stuff.

I just discovered Vicki Genfan through a feature in Acoustic Guitar magazine.
I discovered a band called Venice this year. They are mostly the sons of the Lennon Sisters from the old Lawrence Welk Show, and they have some very tasty harmony work. They've been compared to the Eagles or Crosby, Stills, and Nash.
I was shopping in iTunes for covers of a song called "Dimming of the Day" (definitive version by Bonnie Raitt), and discovered a trio called Mad Agnes - two girls and a guy (Mark Saunders) who does some very sweet acoustic work.

All these folks have websites where you can grab their tunes. I still groove on the old stuff, as anyone who's seen my set list will tell you, but I love finding cool new stuff! Check 'em out.