best guitar licks in history

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yep ! Finally decided !

Peter Green. "Jumping At Shadows". "The Boston Box".

Greenie had a very serious case of the blues, and expressed it as eloquently on this track as any bluesman ever has !

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yep ! Finally decided !

Peter Green. "Jumping At Shadows". "The Boston Box".

Greenie had a very serious case of the blues, and expressed it as eloquently on this track as any bluesman ever has !

john_kidder

Reaction score
I heard a guy once sitting in the grass in the yard at Winchester Cathedral, playing Pachelbel's Canon on a beat-up classical guitar. This also in the days of the herb. Best I've ever heard. Never heard the piece again without thinking of him; the whole experience there in the sun just snaps into focus with the first bar.

john_kidder

Reaction score
I heard a guy once sitting in the grass in the yard at Winchester Cathedral, playing Pachelbel's Canon on a beat-up classical guitar. This also in the days of the herb. Best I've ever heard. Never heard the piece again without thinking of him; the whole experience there in the sun just snaps into focus with the first bar.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
"The days of the herb" John? Oh ya, back when we did a lot of cooking with oregano, parsley and the like. I remember those days.....seems like I ate all of the time.

:p West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
"The days of the herb" John? Oh ya, back when we did a lot of cooking with oregano, parsley and the like. I remember those days.....seems like I ate all of the time.

:p West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Okay. Weighing in from west of Corona.

'bout the only ones I'd add to West's list would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGZrq5S3QA
Django. YOU try it with just two fingers!

Jazz: Tuck Andresen

Dobro: Ivan Rosenburg (Second to Jerry Douglas)

Favorite all-time solo, for whatever reason - nostalgia, timely impact, herb, whatever - Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower.

Guildmark

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Okay. Weighing in from west of Corona.

'bout the only ones I'd add to West's list would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGZrq5S3QA
Django. YOU try it with just two fingers!

Jazz: Tuck Andresen

Dobro: Ivan Rosenburg (Second to Jerry Douglas)

Favorite all-time solo, for whatever reason - nostalgia, timely impact, herb, whatever - Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower.

Guildmark

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Between "All Along the Watchtower" and "Red House", Hendrix had it going on, didn't he. I've always loved "Little Wing" and "Fire" also. Four of my favorite songs. Great herbal music back then too ha? :twisted:

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Between "All Along the Watchtower" and "Red House", Hendrix had it going on, didn't he. I've always loved "Little Wing" and "Fire" also. Four of my favorite songs. Great herbal music back then too ha? :twisted:

West

andrew

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new on this site. How about for effectiveness the Pete Townsend lead on "Bargain" -- so simple -- a little more complex than Cinnamon Girl- both very effective,and I am not a big WHO fan. For their age in the late 60's Quicksilver Messenger Services' "The Fool" with Gary Duncan and John Cippollina is pretty hellacious! Where did they get those ideas from? You can get it on Napster and you can tell I'm an old Guild geezer.

andrew

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new on this site. How about for effectiveness the Pete Townsend lead on "Bargain" -- so simple -- a little more complex than Cinnamon Girl- both very effective,and I am not a big WHO fan. For their age in the late 60's Quicksilver Messenger Services' "The Fool" with Gary Duncan and John Cippollina is pretty hellacious! Where did they get those ideas from? You can get it on Napster and you can tell I'm an old Guild geezer.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Very good point! A friend's band had a lead player who was magnificent. Jazz, rock, country - the guy could do it all. But he was losing folks when he soloed - you could see them kind of phase out. It was kind of like he was bored and just had to demonstrate every skill. The band leader suggested he ease up a bit, make it a little more melodic instead of all lightning riffs and blinding fingers. I hate to say it but it was kinda like the king in Amadeus, "The ear can only hear so many notes...that's it. Too many notes."
Maybe it worked. I heard his solo album a couple years ago. All jazz. All cool. Lots of melody.

The more memorable rides are the one you can sing.

Guildmark

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Very good point! A friend's band had a lead player who was magnificent. Jazz, rock, country - the guy could do it all. But he was losing folks when he soloed - you could see them kind of phase out. It was kind of like he was bored and just had to demonstrate every skill. The band leader suggested he ease up a bit, make it a little more melodic instead of all lightning riffs and blinding fingers. I hate to say it but it was kinda like the king in Amadeus, "The ear can only hear so many notes...that's it. Too many notes."
Maybe it worked. I heard his solo album a couple years ago. All jazz. All cool. Lots of melody.

The more memorable rides are the one you can sing.

Guildmark

andrew

Reaction score
Best solos

As long as it makes an impression is what matters. I saw a young man sit in for a set in a band that had player that could work all styles with great skill and schmaltz but was utterly predictable. This sit in kid was on his edge but meant every note. I felt every second! It's not what you play it's how you play it. Am I preaching to the choir?

andrew

Reaction score
Best solos

As long as it makes an impression is what matters. I saw a young man sit in for a set in a band that had player that could work all styles with great skill and schmaltz but was utterly predictable. This sit in kid was on his edge but meant every note. I felt every second! It's not what you play it's how you play it. Am I preaching to the choir?