best guitar licks in history

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Interesting choice, Mr P. Is Robin Trower widely known in The U.S. ?
I liked James Dewar's vocals when he was R.T.'s bassist and enjoyed R.T.'s work with Jack Bruce.
What album is that track on please ? Looks like I'll have to dig through the vinyl stash.
I am DEEPLY envious of your Johnny Shines experience !!!!!!!

Robin Trower was well known here, but not appropriately appreciated. You are right, James Dewar is an awsome vocalist, and Jack Bruce was one hell of a good replacement.

Shame the Devil was on For Earth Below, from 1975. The songs were:
1. Shame the Devil
2. It's Only Money
3. Confessin' Midnight
4. Fine Day *

1. Alethea
2. A Tale Untold
3. Gonna Be More Suspicious *
4. For Earth Below

[img:150:148]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/p981d3b5dd8b32bc5294873b59c7a6da9/eeb966ee.jpg[/img]

I wish I had a video tape of the Johnny Shines performance...the same year at the same venue we saw Big Joe Williams with his 9 string guitar and Mississippi John Hurt. Truly the good ole days!!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You saw Missippis John Hurt live? I'm turning green.

I've been trying to mimic his pickin for two years, it's hopeless, I'll never get it.

By the way, I read some background on Mississippi a couple years ago, It seems when he was "discovered" back in the day, along with gettng paid a little, part of the package was the offer of a new guitar of his choice.

The interviewer put it this way, "Missippi John Hurt could have made his choice from any of the fine & expensive insturments on display, instead he chose a modestly priced Guild".

Reaction score
Lick away!

OK - I had to go back to Dred's original and think about the issue...

ok guys, please name the song and artist of your favorite guitar lead of all times. I mean, if you had to pick just one..

Wow! What a thought. I have to go to one of my all-time favorite songs for a really sweet bit of acoustic fire...Bruce Cockburn's "No Footprints" from the album 'Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws', which also includes his "Wondering Where The Lions Are". It's a spookly bit of leadwork at the end, but prefaced by exceptional chordal fingerwork. If you are a fingerstylist and haven't tuned in to Cockburn's work - there's a great bit of introduction for you. Cockburn also uses a Guild F112 periodically, both on the road, on videos and in the studio.

Beyond that, wow! so many wonderful riffs - unfair to you all, but our lead guitarist David Praet plays some phenomenal leads on our new album. When it's out, I'll try to post some MP3s and direct you to them so you can hear his work. There's something about acoustic leads - that blows me away.

Don - "Shine on you crazy diamond!" Man, I haven't heard that in awhile. I had a buddy who used to say that. There's a bit of deja vu for me....or maybe it's just that survival that West talked about. dbs

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

That would be the Merrywanawan tribe. A little known tribe from way, way out in Texas. We ended up diluting our race by mate 'em with buffalo. Ended up looking like a bunch of hippies!

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
We were known for our extremely red eyes and ravenous appetites. 8) Not to mention a language all our own.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
AH HAH West. That, and the thin air explains it all !!!!!

We have a small tribe of Indians here in N.Z. A pygmy mutant race called The Wherethefarcawee tribe.
Unfortunately these little guys inhabit a very rugged area, full of thick vegetation and lush, 8 feet high grasses. They can be heard banging about in the shrubbery calling, "Wherethefarcawee ? Wherethefarcawee ? "

Reaction score
Gothemunchies Tribe checks in

Both of these sound suspiciously like the Gothemunchies Tribe, which coined the terms "grazing in the grass", "diggin it", and the greeting "How coolzthat". I believe I ran across them several times on my journies looking for the lost door to paradise. dbs

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mr P. I'll sling "For Earth Below" on the turntable this weekend. (Tomorrow).

Now you're REALLY starting to hurt !!!!! Mississippi John ! Wow!
You know, my main musical love is Mississippi country blues, I'm not really big on finger-picking stuff, and here's this dear old fella who just has me spellbound !!!! When he starts picking after the introduction on Stagolee, he has me sniffling, every damn' time !
Love Big Joe - rough and ready, so quintessentially country.
Bukka and Fred McDowell are big with me. Imagine a party at Fred's place !!

And - Son House. I imagine some of you saw Son. I get chills imagining a Son concert. What POWER and charisma this man must have had !

dklsplace

Reaction score
This is going to sound strange. I've seen this topic on a few other forums & while there are many that are really great in my book...there's just one that comes to mind as best.

The strange part is, I can't really tell you who it is, or what it was called. Even stranger...I've only heard it once. It was in the mid 80's, I was on the road late one evening & tuned into a blues program. Seems like the DJ said Magic Sam, or Slim. The story was that this was a recently released compilation of songs recorded over (now deceased) Magic's career. The only recording of this particular song was a bootleg that someone had recorded with a handheld tape recorder at one of Magic's concerts back in the early 70's. Somehow it made it's way into the hands of the record company & they put it on the album. The only way I have every been able to describe it is that is was the smokinest guitar I've ever heard.

I've searched, I've asked, I've called in to some other Blues programs to see if anyone could tell me exactly who it was...but it haunts me to this day.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don, it would have had to be Magic Sam (Maghett). Magic Slim was then, and is now, still alive.

I STRONGLY urge you to get your hands on a DVD titled "The American Folk Blues Festival 1962 - 1966. Reelin' In The Years Productions 0602498609279. There are 2 bonus tracks at the end from Magic Sam performed on a guitar borrowed from Earl Hooker. "Magic Sam's Boogie" is like "Whaaa..??

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gidday Mr P. Have just finished shovelling a ton of coal, and am relaxing listening to For Earth Below. I see what you mean. It's been a long time since I listened to this album.
Wouldn't recommend it to West though - he'll be breaking out the peace pipe again, and likely getting in the poo with the missus !!

I think I'll break out the Heineken and write today off as "Robin Trower Saturday." I'll have the first one for you. Cheers.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard that much Johnny Shines, but I'm sure going to remediate that deficiency soon. What should I start with?

I'd like to suggest that those who go to hear Marshall Tucker start with the live stuff. From what I've heard, their live was like another band. I didn't recognize who it was. I thought it was the Allmans or something.
Freddie King was the same way.

Glad to see Robin Trower and Grady Martin getting their due.

I'd add Danny Gatton, Mark Knopfler, Merle Travis, Scotty Moore, Junior Brown, Lenny Breau, Brian Setzer, Rev Horton Heat, Albert King, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Herb Ellis, Wishbone Ash, Kim Simmons, Son Seals, John Renbourn, Dave Gonzalez, Ronnie Earl, Duke Robillard, Kenny Burrell. John McLaughlin, Marty Stuart, Vince Gill, John Fahey, Lee Kottke, Joe Maphis, Jimmy Bryant, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Metheny, George Benson, Charlie Byrd, Pierre Bensusam, Michael Hedges, Gabor Szabo, Bert Jansch, and a guy I heard in Sweden named YEE-mee HEN-dreeks. My favorite lick is whatever I'm hearing one of thos guys playing at the time.

"Elmore James kept playing the same licks over and over. But I get the feeling he meant it." --Frank Zappa

"I can't play worth beans, but I sure make it sound good."

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coal shovelling Coastie? Darryl, where in the world have you been? Mr. Coastie and I have had to facilitate all the discussion in your absence. Coastie, I had to retire the peace pipe many years ago. Me havum little indians.

Some heavy hitters you mentioned Darryl, you did neglect to mention what your favoite all-time guitar licks were though. We are waiting with baited breath, eager anticipation, if you will.

I did have an opportunity to see who they call Marshall Tucker last year. Don't waste your time. They bore little resemblence to the band they once were. However, I've given it a lot of thought since this thread was first posted and I'm going to have to stick with my origional pick for all time favorite licks. MTB "Where We All Belong" CD, long "live" version of "24 Hours at a Time". Yep, that's my favorite. By the way, Charlie Daniels plays the fiddle in that song. He and Toy Caldwell go a couple of minutes mimicking each others notes, then brother Toy takes the show.

Good to hear from you Darryl. Coastie, do you still keep a canary with you when you go down into the mine?

Ya'll take care,
West

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West, you wouldn't catch me within a bull's roar of a coalmine mate.
Our area is NZ's coal capital, and I burn coal to heat water, rather than pay the electricity barons any more than absolutely necessary.
I'm very pleased to report that they don't use canaries any longer.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Interesting Coastie. Please let me know when you've figured out how to run a car engine off of coal. All kidding aside we've got a world of cheap coal right here where I live. It's called lignite. Anyway, the company I work for is about to build a coal (lignite) gasification plant here which will derive from coal, all of the gasses needed for all of our chemical production.

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've been working myself too much.

I can't pick a favorite anything. When I'm listening to one of those guys, I'm saying to myself, "That's it right there! That's the greatest!"

billydlight

Reaction score
The Solo in Rock Around the Clock is for my money the best ever. Has all the goodies plus is next to impossible to play right. It must be great because it was played by a guy named Danny Cedrone
[img:108:142]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/23/DannyCedrone.jpg[/img]

It must be greatness because he died young shortly after it was recorded and as we know all the greats die young :wink:

Seriously this is the best ever I mean look at that mustache

see this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Cedrone