newbie saying hello!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey there all you fellow Guild freaks!

I've been looking for a forum like this for a while, and I'm happy to find this one.

My love affair with old Guilds started when I worked as a musician and was on the hunt for a Gibson ES-175. I went to a huge guitar show in the midwest and cased out all the possibilities. Then I waited patiently until the closing hours to wheel and deal. As I was waited by a long table in a corner, the guy behind the table asked me what I was looking for. When he heard, he handed me the guitar in his hand and said, "Try this out." I ended up leaving with a blonde 1964 Guild CE-100. The dealer told me it had been in his shop for 2 years, and each time he tried to sell it, his workers protested. Apparently it was the axe they played the most.

I've eventualy sold it to upgrade to a 1968 DP model which is immaculate. Funny enough, the guy I sold the '64 to had the exact same reaction I did and was beaming. I've never seen anyone besides me react that wa to a guitar. I've since also acquired a pristine 1959 T-100DP with Franz pickups, and I get shivers every time I play it.

Anyway, I think Guild archtops are the most overlooked, underrated guitars, and I hope it stays that way, so that we can all still afford them. I've got a gazillion questions to post, but for now I'll just say close with

Hello!

jp :mrgreen:

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome aboard jp! Sounds a lot like one of those, "and they lived happily ever after" stories if you ask me.

It's about time we got some more archtop action around here...those acoustic guys are nuts! :p

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jp said:
I've since also acquired a pristine 1959 T-100DP with Franz pickups, and I get shivers every time I play it.

Anyway, I think Guild archtops are the most overlooked, underrated guitars, and I hope it stays that way, so that we can all still afford them. I've got a gazillion questions to post, but for now I'll just say close with
Hey JP, welcome to the Guild Pages.

I think I recognise what you're saying there ("I get shivers every time I play it") - I've had my X175 for about six, seven years now, and still, when I take it out of the case before every gig, I get that "kid on christmas morning" feeling, as in "yay, I get to play thàt, woohoo!!".

A good friend of mine has a 60's CE100D too, and it's a great guitar.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Me too, welcome, great to hear from another happy camper.

I just got two Franz p'ups to replace the humbuckers on my '54 X-400 - I can hardly wait to hear them.

More conversation to come,