Great Gospel

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
http://www.vpro.nl/programma/vrijegelui ... /26511142/

If you think you don't like gospel, click on the above. When it comes up, click in the upper right where it says "VIDEO Campbell Brothers." When the playing screen comes up in the upper left, it says "buffering" for almost a minute. Also where it says "tijd" under the screen, slide that over to 6 minutes, because the first 6 minutes are an intro in Dutch.

If the first cut doesn't get it for you, then your buns have grown together. And if you don't like their version of Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Going To Come," then after you die you'll wake up in a cell with Barry Manilow and Cher.

HoboKen

Reaction score
Not bad....not bad.....rather good!

black soul gospel with a steel guitar ......it works!

I'm rather partial to bluegrass gospel with a 500 mph mandolin and a Jerry Douglas like resophonic guitar sound goin' strong myself, as we have a group of 11 of us doin' it most every week-end.

But, I do like variety! Campbell Bothers.....Yea!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ken, you lucky stiff! You have a Jerry Douglas protoge'? PA isn't that far from Michigan, can I come & jam some weekend? My mandolin isn't 500mph quite yet, but I'm working on it...my gospel bluegrass band name is "Pickin' Grace."

Darryl, thanks, I will go to that link and listen as soon as I get to my home computer!

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hobo and Dred (or Ken and Nut ?)

The Campbell Bros are part of a new bunch of gospel called sacred steel. It's a long story how this came about, but in brief there were a few churches in remote Florida that had added steel to their sacred music, and it kept spreading. One of the players is Robert Randolph, who has been onstage with Clapton etc, and also has his own hip-hop band, which is the only hip hop I can listen to. I'll give a url to him here.

http://www.myspace.com/robertrandolph

Above is his secular music.

My other big gospel discovery is a singer named Nichole C. Mullen. I've seen her on Billy Graham twice, and she was the greatest I've heard since Aretha. So I got one of Nichole's DVDs, but it was too much contemporary Christian for me. But even if you don't like listening to her, ya gotta like watching her.

HoboKen

Reaction score
Drednut,
a quick Side-Bar.....how far below the strings is your DeArmond Starfire III bridge and neck pick-ups? I'm getting a muddy sound and figure it may be that the pick-ups are too low.

Main-Bar...(chrome steel bar).....I've been playing my Paul Beard made standard square neck "R" model w/gold trim for about five years now. Paul himself set it up for me just like the one he did for Jerry Douglas. I drove to Hagerstown and picked it up from Paul. I've been practicin' the "Jerry Douglas Dobro Techniques" ala (DVD-Homespun Vidio -90 minutes).

I grew up at the feet of Slim Bryant and His Wildcats who played western swing (steel and dobro guitars). Slim is 93 now, but still has his Gibson L-5 sitting in the corner of his living room. Now that Waylon is gone, Slim is I believe the last remaining guitarist to play background guitar for Jimmy Rogers on his last few recordings in the 30s.

Anyway.....Not that I'll ever be as good on Dobro as Jerry is, but I try and some days I do come close on some numbers. (a good clssical guitar backgorund also helped with the finger pickin') When I can do it "close" everyday on every number, I'll think about retiring and dive in full time. Most likely will be awhile!

Our Mandolin player has been playing for 50 years. Started when he was 20. He has played with the best of 'em over the years with his old Gibson F-style mandolin. Maybe not as good as Bill Monroe was, but on any given day, I'd hate to have to choose bewtween 'em on the mondo.. He just plays mandolin, he does not sing any high lonesome like Bill did. He's our spark-plug! On "Down Yaunder" and the "Washington & Lee Swing" it's hard to keep up with him!!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Hat, I went and listened to the Campbell Bros., very nice! Thanks for the lead. I gotta say this, some of the best pedal steel tracks ever laid down were by Jerry Garcia when he was playing for New Riders of the Purple Sage, they do the best version of "Hello, Mary Lou" ever recorded.

Sorry, Ken, forgot to measure my DeArmond string height, will get back with you on that one...

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
DN, Hat actually is my nickname!

Yes, Jerry also played the steel on Crosby, Stills, and Nash's "Teach Your Children Well." He also played banjo.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, boy, that's some sweet steel licks on "Teach Your Children"! One of my favorites - my band does that one often, as well as "4+20".

Oh no - I feel GAS coming on - must...have...a pedal steel.... :shock:

nah, my wife would give me the boot if I dragged home one more instrument. Maybe if I find one real cheap at a garage sale this summer...

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
A cheap one is a pain. Even worse than an acoustic with a warped neck and strings a half inch high. You'd have to go almost a grand for something playable. The mechanism underneath is really complex. Non-pedal steels are a little less and hassle.

john_kidder

Reaction score
drednut:

I have a very good and trusted friend here in Vancouver who has an older National pedal steel that he's asked me to list on eBay for him. I'll get the particulars and send them on, if you're interested. And he is a fine fine player, so no fear about warpage and string a mile high and like that.

Let me know,

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Darryl

I can't get that site to work. I mean I get to the Campbell brother alright but I got no video happening.
Could you get me step by step to it?
Benee

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
O.K. Darryl- Got ot to work. Great Sam Cooke tune. I gotta check out some more of his work.
Benee

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
John,

Sorry I missed your post.

I don't know a thing about Nationals. The best place to find out about steels is the steel guitar forum.
http://steelguitarforum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
But it's a huge site.

First you have to get an idea of what it's worth. Don't trust any one source. Look at what nationals are going for on ebay, gbase.com, and Gruhn.com. I'd suggest you then put it on ebay, say that you don't know much about steels, and ask for info. Don't have too low of a reserve because you can lower it later. The steel guys at the forum will see it, and they might answer you at ebay and/or talk about it at the forum. You usually don't get many steelers who will bs you and try to rip you off. But with used instruments in general, there are a lot of sharks who will tell you it's got this and that problem.