Guild 100-J Rebuild

Reaction score
Here's the story. I ran across my Grandpa's old tube amp - a late 50's (?) Guild 100-J. Besides being a musician, my Grandpa was a TV repairman. I found the amp in the basement, taken apart, but working. However, a huge output transformer was wired into the circuit (aparantly the old one went bad and he wired one up that he had lying around) but the OT that is wired up is far to big for the chassis. I would like to replace the OT and restore the amp to working condition. Does anyone know what kind of OT I should get as a replacement? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

This amp came up on my radar recently & it just happens another of our members (matsickma) owns one & is a wealth of knowledge himself. Thread here.

You can certainly change the character of the beast with your selection of OT's. I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but this is definitely a "you get what you pay for" category. Kendrick makes great OT's, but they're expensive (maybe too much so in some cases) but they never disappoint. A friend is building 2 "like" amp kits, one from Kendrick, the other from Weber, so I'm waiting to hear a comparison of the quality Weber has to offer.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have heard good things about both the Kendrick and Weber OT's. Any idea about which model from either company would fit the specs and the space of the 100-J? I have no idea how to tell the specs of the OT since the one from my Grandpa's amp is missing. I would love any specs on the amp that I can get. If anyone has info on the OT of the 100-J I would love that as well. Thanks.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Hammond 1650G OT? I think all of the specs line up to use this tranny, but I have no experience with this brand or model. Anyone know anything about them?