stafire V years of manufacture

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
who knows when starifre V's were made? did they start making them recently?
thanks

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
asf said:
who knows when starifre V's were made? did they start making them recently?
thanks

Hello asf,

Welcome! The Starfire V was introduced in 1963 and the model has been 'off and on' part of the Guild line. The last time it was re-issued was at the end of 1998.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

matsickma

Reaction score
A sad day...

I have waited and watched for an opportunity to snag a NOS Westerly SF5. I knew if I had patience one would cross my path. About two weeks ago a new early morning listing on eBay announce what I had been waiting for...a blond SF5 NOS in perfect conditon had been announce. It was a straignt listing having a starting bid and BIN value of $1600. Not a bargain but not outrageous-this was a fair price for a debutant instrument. BIN! Come to Papa.

On Monday it arrived. My Wife brought it in from the rare artic cold Pennsylvania weather. She knew the routine...put it in the garage. I arrived home around 9PM and did the next level of transfer to the cool basement. I had to be patient. No thermal shocking of this instrument would occur on my watch. Be patient. Go to bed. The morning sunrise will shine on a NOS SF5.

Up early for work. SSS and dressed early. Time to hatch the NOS SF5. The Box looks good. Box lid open - packing material very good, Case perfectly centered in the box - good. Slide the case out, unsnap the latches, flip open the case lid-I am looking at a blond beauty, the thin clear plastic covers still sticking to the humbuckers tells me this guitar has and will only be mine.

The body looks great! I pull it from the case and examine all forms and curves. Looks perfect. I need to play this baby. I slide my left hand to the open position for a simple strum of a chord and OUCH! A sharp edge near cuts the inner cup of my finger. Something doesn't look or feel right all of a sudden. The blond is turned about quickly. I pull my glasses below my eyes - I can't rely on lens correction - I must see this for myself.

A CRACK! Running from the nut along the high-E side of the neck and extending past two frets! Is this a finish crack? No! It is lifted. I can see into the wood. Now What?! Go to work. What to do will become obvious without having to dwell on it now.

I am trying to work out the financial reinbursment details from the shipper and the carrier. I am not optimistic this will happen quickly but know the money part will work out.

As I contacted the carrier for details on the return process I am told not to worry. The carrier will stop by and pick up the package for return to the shipper (i.e., seller). I am politely told by by the claim agent that once the shipper receives the return and new one will be sent. I corrected her and said this is a one of a kind. There are no more to be sent. It is truely irreplaceable. No SF5's will be comming out of Westerly and from the looks of it anywhere else. She seems to understand this is not a normal transaction. She does reassure me that I will eventually be reinbursed by the Seller.

The money part matters but I am not worrying about it. Credit will be given sometime in the next two months. However I can't get over the reality that this instrument, now very rare instrument, has been cut down short in its history of being a part of the Guild Westerly hisory. It was there at the end and may well have been a testament to the craftmanship of the later Guild era. This NOS SF5 was not going to leave my home in my lifetime. Now its future is uncertain. It will be returned and find its way for a repair. Can Fender do it? Make it whole? I need to look into this.

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things this is pretty small but it was a another glaring reminder that our Guilds are not to be taken lightly. They can never be replaced.

I am not sure how this will all work. However as the money issue is resolved I would like to make a deal keep possession of this instrument and find The One to make it whole again.

A true story by matsickma.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Guild Gang,

I finally had resolution on my SF5 guitar damage. I reported earlier I picked up a NOS Blond Guild SF5 build at the Westerly plant. During the shipping the neck got split on the high-e side from the nut down about two inches.

The guitar was returned and a claim was filed by the shipper against the carrier. Six weeks passed without resolution and I was getting ready to file a claim with Paypal and my credit card company when I was contacted by the seller. He advised me that the carrier was not going to cover any damage because the box didn't look damaged. However the shipper told me he would reinburse me for the guitar. However, knowing how interested I was having a Westerly SF5 he searched other music stores and found one just like the one that was damaged. The guitar was not NOS but was in mint condition. I wanted this guitar and agreed to the swap.

It arrived at my home one day before my grace period for filing a claim with Paypal. It is as sweet as the origional and I am very pleased. The SN was within 20 numbers of the NOS guitar.

I was confident things would work out but could never imagine I would have the guitar replaced. Needless to say I feel very lucky to have received this instrument and was reassured of the honesty of people under these circumstances. The fact that the seller perfered Guild instruments likely had something to do with the honestly of the transaction.

I am a Happy Camper,

matsickma :D

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Guild Gang,

I finally had resolution on my SF5 guitar damage. I reported earlier I picked up a NOS Blond Guild SF5 build at the Westerly plant. During the shipping the neck got split on the high-e side from the nut down about two inches.

The guitar was returned and a claim was filed by the shipper against the carrier. Six weeks passed without resolution and I was getting ready to file a claim with Paypal and my credit card company when I was contacted by the seller. He advised me that the carrier was not going to cover any damage because the box didn't look damaged. However the shipper told me he would reinburse me for the guitar. However, knowing how interested I was having a Westerly SF5 he searched other music stores and found one just like the one that was damaged. The guitar was not NOS but was in mint condition. I wanted this guitar and agreed to the swap.

It arrived at my home one day before my grace period for filing a claim with Paypal. It is as sweet as the origional and I am very pleased. The SN was within 20 numbers of the NOS guitar.

I was confident things would work out but could never imagine I would have the guitar replaced. Needless to say I feel very lucky to have received this instrument and was reassured of the honesty of people under these circumstances. The fact that the seller perfered Guild instruments likely had something to do with the honestly of the transaction.

I am a Happy Camper,

matsickma :D