Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi John,

Thanks for a very thorough description. I've always been curious about the Guild Thunder Reverb I and it's funky reverb circuitry.

When I was gigging pro, my main amp was a Fender Twin, and then a Mesa Boogie DC-5. I still love the Boogie, but I wanted a lower wattage tube amp, and my journey has landed me with the Epi, the Falcon, and a Deluxe Reverb, which is in a class by itself. The thing with vintage gear nowadays, is you have to buy it to try it, since they so seldom end up in shops for reasonable prices.

The Falcon sat in a studio relatively untouched for many a few decades. It needs a once-over with Deoxit, new caps, new tubes, and a three-prong plug--much really to get it optimum again. Although a little scratchy, it still sounds great as it is, especially for that groovy jangly surfy 60s garage sound, old timey country, and R&B. The reverb is deep and spacey. It has some black plate RCAs in it right now, and it definitely qualifies as the poor man's Princeton. New tubes will give it a little more spank.

The Epiphone is actually a very rare creature, and I haven't found a corresponding Gibson, as with the Crestline-styled series. I've never seen another besides this one.

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDe ... tem=797079

There is very little info on the net as well outside of the schematic. With the Devon-style cabinet, it most closely matches the Gibson Tweeds, or the Maestro-Supros of the period. The tube complement is also uncommon. I need to go through my CD of schematics to see what it matches most closely.

1-(12AY7) 2-(12AY7) 3-(6EU6) 4-(6EU6) 5-(EL34/6AC7) 6-(EL34/6AC7)

Funky, huh? It's been robbed of original tubes, the hardwired footswitch is missing, the reverb sounds hollow and fuzzy (drive or recovery tubes probably cooked and bias most certainly off), the 12AY7s have been replaced with 12AX7s, what I think should be a Jensen C12P is now a 60s orange Utah, and I suspect the power transformer is not original. This is the amp I'm most curious to start on. I'm gonna dig around first to find someone who knows more about them.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi JP:

Sounds like you have a beauty in that GA19: there are two versions of the circuit out there; one with 7199 in V2 that operates the reverb and the other with a 6C4; which one is yours?

Mine has the 7199 and 3 X 6EU7s; you typed '6EU6' but I think you probably meant '7'; I couldn't find a 6EU6 listed here:

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/index.php

Before I tore it down, the reverb in my GA19 was a little buzzy; I thought it might be the 7199 however I put a Sovtek there and no change. This will probably require a do-over; I like Sovtek rectifiers but have had bad luck with Sovtek 6EU7s which are about the only new ones out there. The Sovtek 7199 was cheap so the do-over is the penalty for not biting the 7199 $ bullet the first time.

I have 60s short-plate 6EU7s in it now; I was fortunate in that seller failed to pull tube covers off to look and see what he had. What he had and what I now have is a mint, matched set of original, Gibson-branded 6EU7s and 7199.

The 6V6 outputs were a pair of goober escapees from someone's trash bin...one is branded 'Ford' as in the auto biz and the other is a Lafayette / Radio Shack. They're gone; JAN 6V6s there now soon to be replaced by JJs.

That's a 10-4 on the buy-before-play problem with older stuff; With the relative convenience of eBay comes the unavoidable risk...it just can't be helped.

Link to a schematic for your EA22:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/gibsonamps/ea_22rvt.pdf

Weird; you're right, the schematic says '6EU6' not '6EU7'.

Another link to the description of a Heath amp with '6EU6' tubes.
http://www.qsl.net/kb7rgg/heath/product ... /aa181.txt

The link above was the only audio-related Google response to the '6EU6' query.

Well, you better hope these people meant 6EU7 because there are no 6EU6 tubes to be had; Tube Depot, Tube Store, none of the usually reliable sources handle them and the Duncan Amp tube locator site is the very best for tube technical data and they don't recognize '6EU6'.

If you can get it right, I'll bet the EL34s will be great. I used to have Dynaco stereo gear that ran on them; good sound, rugged, moderate cost - nice attributes in output tubes regardless of application.

Good luck w/ your EA 22; ought to be a great amp.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi John,
My Falcon is one of the later black Crestline models that corresponds to the Maestro M-216RVT and Epi EA-28-RVT. It came with the original instructions with schematics. It's got the 3 6EU7s and the 6C4 in the V3 positition. Yours is a little less common I think, though lots of Falcons were made and sold. Is yours a Crestline too, or a pre-'62 tweed? Those are pretty hot stuff.

Yeah the 6EU6 thing is a mystery. I'm hoping for an equivalent which will do the job, or I'll have to mod it to take something else. I'll need to email Aspen Pittman or something drastic like that. I think the Epi should turn out pretty cool once I find time to get into it!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi JP:

This is a link to a 'M216' schematic for the GA19 Falcon w/ the 6C4 at V3.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106 ... M216-1.jpg

If you use this, pay attention to the fact that, unlike every other Gibson schematic, the tube position numbers are from right to left and not the normal-for-early-Gibson left to right.

I have a tweed version and, when viewed from the rear, the power transformer/output tubes are on the right. If, when viewed from the rear, your power transformer is on the left, then the numbers make more sense; pre-amp tube numbers going up approaching the output.

I think this 'reversal' is the basis for a lot of the confusion on other boards about trying to fit 7199s into a socket wired for a 6C4, or, if failing to account for the numbering thing, into a socket for a 6EU7; same thing for stuffing a 6C4 where it doesn't belong.

My GA19 is coming along, it was pretty ragged when it arrived. Getting 1 and 2 watt resistors in power supply / plates / grids, fresh ps caps, used GA18 cabinet in good condition on the way. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I wish whoever had this thing for their garage band work had taken the amp inside when they were done.

The original cabinet has a lot of the common orange/brown mold, several 'ring' and cig burns, and a 3/4" hole in the top that was put there to let the bad notes out so they wouldn't come back again...who knows. The control panel is pitted...they must have left the car running while knocking out their garage tunes...or taken it over to the powerhouse to let the sulfur dioxide land on it....

I'll bet you a year's supply of guitar strings that tubes ID'd as '6EU6' are 6EU7s but I think to satisfy yourself, you ought to ask A. Pittman or Gerald Weber, the GWEB himself: kendrick@kendrick-amplifiers.com

He's reasonably good about answering coherent questions from amateurs. If you contact him, be sure to attach a schematic...don't make him go look up something you already have.

Find the time for the Epi; the English made a lot of great sounding amps built around the EL34...you may not find a vintage footswitch...any early Fender or Fender style will work; avoid the ones designed for mid-60s and later amps that were designed to operate opti-couplers. I think your EA22 is the update of the highly prized Gibson Maestro GA2; they are expensive amps.

Good luck with it!

Regards, capnjuan

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the valuable info, capnjuan. When I finally get into it, I'll let you know what kind of answers I get.

JP

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
You're welcome JP:

FWIW: I have been e-chatting w/ G. Weber re/ the GA19 and how much is too much capacitance for the 5Y3. Like I said, he's a pretty helpful person.

I included a query about your '6EU6' v. '6EU7' tubes. How do you know the transformer isn't original?

capnjuan

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi JP:

I don't know if you want to chase this or not for your Epi: Gibson '62/'64 two button footswitch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Original-62-64- ... dZViewItem

This is the one with the plastic/phenolic housing; earlier versions were Phillipine mahogany said to be made from the left-over bandsaw cut-outs when Gibson was shaping Les Paul bodies. They correspond pretty closely with the piece that is 'missing'.

Who knows; seller is a regular with amp/guitar odds and ends.

Regards, capnjuan

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi capnjuan,

So you think it's an updated Maestro GA-2, huh? Maybe I'll get lucky, and it will be. I've never played through one, but I've read about how great they sound. They had 6V6s in the power section if I'm not mistaken and a 5Y3 rectifier. Hmm, will have to investigate when time allows.

I'm not totally sure if the transformer is original or not, but the previous owner, said he thought it was. He painted both transformers inside, so I need to scrape off thick black paint to read the numbers. I'd eventually like to track down all the serials to start building the history of this thing.

Thanks for putting in the query to ole master Weber. I'd be interested to hear what he knows about 6EU6s.

And yeah I saw that footswitch too! I actually had sent an email to ask if there was any sort of plug on the end of the cable. If I'm not mistaken, not all were hard-wired, and some had a funky 5-point plug on the end. It's on my watch list. Surprising how often these come up. Seems like a lot of folks chopped them off!

JP

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yes; the Maestro GA2 has 2X6V6 and a 5Y3, 4X6EU7 + 12AJ(?)7 in the pre-amp.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron ... ga2rvt.pdf

It also has trem/reverb, tone controls, and a 12" speaker. In the last year or so, about as many 'tweed' models have come up on eBay as have those in a medium grey tolex. None have gone for under $1,000.

Your EA22 schem includes a diode rectifier and apparently a separate chassis for the transformer, rectifier, filter caps, and choke; I believe that's the function of the cable/plug assembly shown.

Not sure about how FS connects. If it was connected by jack and plug, you'll have a socket on the amp chassis that doesn't seem to do anything. If you have a 3/8" hole in the chassis (with or without grommet or bushing) and no functionless chassis socket, then it's more likely than not it was hard-wired.

The amp police spend alot of time chasing down the dim-wits who chop off footswitches and, what's even more reprehensible, steal amp logo badges where the penalty is 150 push-ups and loss of playing time...penalty may vary depending on which amp make and model were vandalized...no pity in amp court...

If hard-wired, there is probably a wiring strip inside the chassis to terminate the cable on, maybe with fragments of the wire or stubble still there. If not, terminating the cable isn't any big deal.

No word yet from GWEB re/ 6EU6 v. 6EU7; I will tell you that I'm not losing any sleep at the prospect of financing strings for you over the next year. Besides, failing to faithfully follow a 40-year old design (possibly including drafting errors) where doing so is an impossibility (no one sells 6EU6 tubes) isn't a crime in amp court...

Good luck and best wishes,

capnjuan

Reaction score
hey all,
First post here on the forum and I figure what could be more appropriate than to share my amp(s) of choice. First up is this little Supro...at least I think it's a Supro(no tag on front or name on control panel). Found it in a thrift store for 7 dollars, brought it home and loved the sound...

PICT0113.jpg

and of course the reason that I joined LetsTalkGuild...

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

I think the tone switch is what sold me on the Thunderbass...that and the $150 tag. Really a great amp for both clean and fuzzy guitars. Oh man...and when combined with the blast from the JC-120 3/4 stack... LOOK OUT!!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Welcome Oddball!!

Cool stuff...just looking at it has my foot tapping.

Regards,

capnjuan

john_kidder

Reaction score
So how do you have that rig set up? The Thunderbass to the JC-120 and then to the 4x12, or instrument to the JC-120 then the Thunderbass, or do you run them as separate lines for separate instruments, combined at the speakers?

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm reasonably new to the amplified world, and having a great deal of fun learning - my Thunderbass, 2x10 cab, and JC-55 give me an analagous set of (smaller) devices to play with. And with two (soon to be one) T1-12s on hand and a Thunderbird on the way, I'm over-amped and under-qualified.

Thanks,

Reaction score
hey, thanks for the welcome capnjuan! As for how I've got the rig set John...I was putting my guitar effects and signal through an a-b-y circuit that I made from the General Guitar Gadgets website which works out pretty well and gives you the option of choosing which effects go to which amp...i.e.germanium fuzzes don't sound that great through the JC but silicons really scream... However, being the rookie that I am to the world of soldering, the aby isn't perfect and produces some unwanted hum. Then I was reading through some posts here at LTG on daisy chaining amplifiers and so thats what I've been using as of late...with the guitar signal into the T-Bass (seems to be workin out well, thanks ya'll!). The JC cabinet is rated at either 16 ohms 8 ohms or 4 ohms depending on which input you output your amp to...and having an amp to each input sets them at 8 ohms so I run the JC to one side and the Thunderbass to the other. I have been curious about possible sound variations with another configuration but I don't want to run the risk of blowing up the Thunderbass... ':shock:' With both amps the sound is super big...especially with a little touch of reverb.

Over-amped..is that possible!

-Oddball

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Don't have the guild yet. Working on that. But when I do, it'll go through one of these:

Sewell Wampus Cat
Clark Tyger
Twilighter 260
Magnatone M-10A
Gibson GA40

And for variety, through my buddy's SF Vibrolux. I'll play through anything, but if I can choose, tweeds and other pre-reverb types get my vote.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Re: Amp Poll / Gibson GA19 RVT

Not mine: Gibson GA19RVT on eBay: Like JP's with strong costmetics. Reverb, Trem, 2X6V6. Has been messed with a little; headphone jack on left side of control panel and it doesn't look like the 'correct' jewel over the on/off light, but, other than that....down in the Lone(some) Star state...+/- $350?
ga19rvt.jpg

eBay Listing for this amp

CurtO

Reaction score
All my amps are Fender except a 63 Sears Silvertone Amp in case. I play my Guild D50 BG Special through a Fender Acoustisonic 30 and love it. I play my electric guitars through either a BillM modified Blues Jr. Or my late model HotRod Deville. All wonderful sounding amps.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Curt; sounds (pun intended) like you're getting some mighty good music out of your gear and you're not the only one who thinks there's a lot to like about Fender amps. I have friend who has an Acoustisonic; he's crazy about it.

Best,
cj

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
I voted Fender. Not necessarily cause they are anything special, but it's the Amplifier that always worked, sounded good, and never let Me down. I started with a 1965 Deluxe Reverb, built a large cabinet using Fender vinyl covering & silver grille cloth, and migrated My 12" speaker with another into the cabinet. Wish that I still had the amp and cabinet!!

My friend who was the lead guiatrist in My teen years band, went up from a Silvertone Twin 12 solid state, to a Custom 200, that would simply kick butt. He wishes that He still had it!

Wish that I had the room, and the funds to own more amps.......and the funds to hire capnjuan to perform his magic on them!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Dr Izza Plumber said:
.....and the funds to hire capnjuan to perform his magic on them!
Aw pshaw....just easier than messing with old cars.

Gone gear; I know the feeling ... :cry: