• Polytone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

caveman

Reaction score
Hey Everybody !

I'm curious to know what amps you guys put the guilds through. Personally I have a 1975 Princeton reverb at home, and got rid of a Hotrod deluxe and a 1979 Twin Reverb to get the Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special. I never was a boogie fan at all but this baby blows me away everytime I play it.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum caveman!

I voted "other." My favorite is my 1960 CF Martin...made by the Allen Organ Co. One of those pieces I picked up dirt cheap thinking I could turn it around for a quick profit. Then I made the mistake of playing through it...now it's never leaving! 8)

moved thread to "amps" category from archtops

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Amp poll

My favorite amp is a Fender Concert (Blackface with 4 - 10" speakers). When I play out (which I hardly do these days) I will take my Matchless Chieftain w. 2 - 10" speakers.

Hans

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Too many to decide, but currently mostly using a '62 Tremolux in a 1x12 cab w/ a reconed JBL D120 - psuedo brown Vibrolux! The speaker does not have an aluminum dome. Of course this is all just for playing at home.

bobgoblin

Reaction score
i, too, voted 'other'. my main gigging amp is a 1959 ampeg mercury, & my practice amp is a 1963 harmony h400. i have to say, tho, some great taste around here, i guess the fact that it's a "Guild" forum shoulda tipped me off, tho, huh?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I voted "Fender", my trusty '68 (silverface) Super Reverb is my main amp and has been for a long time, almost all I play. I have a '71 Super Reverb as well.

Squawk

Reaction score
Fender all the way. In my gigging days, I initially played my Gretsch through an Ampeg Reverborocket. I switched to bass, and traded the rocket for a new ('68) Bassman with 2-15"s. I immediately replaced the speakers (they were horrible) with JBL d-140Fs - I used it for several years - it still works great, though I rarely use it at home.

When I got back into guitar a few years back, I bought a Vibrolux Custom - great amp!

billydlight

Reaction score
Fender

Vibro-King all the way, I also use a 62 Bassman rig and a 65 Bandmaster Rig.
I also have a killer silver panel deluxe! But the secret is no matter what amp I use, I always run my 65 blackface reverb unit.
-B

Reaction score
I voted Guild because my favourite amp is a 69 thunderstar. It has an amazing tone and wonderful tremolo, and it just makes sense to play a guild through a guild. But I don't play through it often, because it's so old. My workhorse amp is a tweed fender blues deville 212. I love the clean tones of this amp and it plays well with my pedals. But I am always searching for the better sounding, but more lightweight amp to take around to gigs. Any suggestions?

wabash slim

Reaction score
amps

72 DeLuxe Reverb, 66 Bandmaster thru 4-10's, mid 60's Guild Thunderbird, Mesa Boogie Preamp w?Peavey power amp thru 2-12's or thru a 1961 Ampex 10 watt amp (made to play an Ampex reel to reel thru)---the Mesa's almost too much. Then, there's the trusty Pignose.

wabash slim

Reaction score
amps

72 DeLuxe Reverb, 66 Bandmaster thru 4-10's, mid 60's Guild Thunderbird, Mesa Boogie Preamp w?Peavey power amp thru 2-12's or thru a 1961 Ampex 10 watt amp (made to play an Ampex reel to reel thru)---the Mesa's almost too much. Then, there's the trusty Pignose.

reverb11

Reaction score
I voted Fender. My main amp is a home-made combo based on a Fender Deluxe Reverb and housing a JBL D130F speaker. The back up is a newer Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

reverb11

Reaction score
I voted Fender. My main amp is a home-made combo based on a Fender Deluxe Reverb and housing a JBL D130F speaker. The back up is a newer Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

LQGuitarist

Reaction score
I've played different amps and it seems that once you put peddles, chorus boxes, distortion and compression through them the only thing that differentiates most of what I can hear is whether it is a tube or a solid state am.
I started with a 64 or 66 Fendere Vibrolux Reverb and liked it a lot, but I was still new to playing (about 8 years when I got it) and it was my first electric to go with it (a 64 to 66 original Epiphone Riviera). The problem was that I never spent the time to learn about proper set up or adjustments for intonation or pickups and lived with what I had or experimented until I felt lost after screwing things up.

Now 40 something years later after playing different styles, I understand more about woods, pickups, matching tubes and the size of amp I need to achieve the sound that satisfies me (but may not be the sound I'm looking for).

Last December I found a 1994 original Fender tweed Blues Deluxe on E-bay. They reissued the amp sometime after 97, but the 94 Blues Deluxe was to be a reissue of an early Blues DeVille I believe. At any rate, I got a good buy on the amp and had it shipped from Tennesee to California where I live.

I love the sound of the amp since just before this I was playing on a 15 watt solid state Peavey and never really happy with it.

My goal on an amp is to get it to clip (distort) cleanly at lower volumes. 40 Watts is plenty for studio or small clubs - but at 56 years old, I'm playing for pleasure and it's been too long since I've done any playing in public.

I just finished a complete set up and neck adjustment on my 97 Bluesbird and everything came alive for me. Still, the Amp needs something and it may be that the tubes are not matched or certified as to where they will clip. I understand that it is possible to put tubes in that push have the power so that they will distort at lower volumes, but by raising the pickups and adjust them, they seem hotter and punch out more at a lower volume.

The point is that I think most guitars and amps will do the job. I own my Bluesbird because I can't think of a finer quality instrument for the money - there was no skimping on these Westerly RI built instruments and the pickups are great (I have the Duncan SH-1's but admittedly never play the P90's to compare). My first Epiphone had Humbuckers that I assume were PAF's back in 64 but since they were never properly set up, I was young and inexperienced and needed the time to learn.

The Fender Blues Deluxe has more power than I need, but it is the tube warmth and a balanced set of strings that come close to making the sound I want to achieve.

So what's good? It's a very subjective question and we are all on a quest to find the combination of variables that we strive to hit to enrich our experience and provide the incentive to continue playing. In my case - Finger style, Chicago Blues, Celtic, English, Delta - I love it all and if the instrument gives me the tonal flavor that turns me on, I am inspired by it. You have to work to achieve it in most cases as it does not come off a shelf or out of a box. Tweak!

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Nice write LQ. I think you should start gigging again.I am striving to do that very thing, chosing the right songs, finding the right people.
I got it in my head and its not going anywhere until that itch is scratched, at the very least. Do it for money, do it for charity do it for old folks homes, do it for fairs just do it. The return is great for doing something that you love to do.
Benee Wafers

teleharmonium

Reaction score
"other" here; I'm an amp junkie, I have at least 30 of them, all of which are vintage, but none of the above makes are among them (I have owned a couple of Fenders but none currently).

Probably my most frequent amp to use with a Guild guitar would be my late '59/early '60 Ampeg Jet, with the 6SL7 preamp and 6V6 power amp. It's a sweet little number. I think the old Ampeg amps are a great choice in general but especially with Guild guitars with single coil pickups; the simple circuits and vintage speakers complement the guitars, and I think it is cool that the amp and the guitar come from pretty much the same place and time (the guitar is an early '60 T100BDP; my other Guild is a '66 T100D). The combination produces perfect earlier rock, jazz, and blues sounds, as you would expect, and the highs are especially nice.

I'm into British amps too and old Vox and Selmer amps certainly go well with my Guilds. Of course, they are nice sounding guitars, so any decent amp will give you good results. The "mickey mouse" pickups can do a lot of the same sounds that Rickenbacker toasters do, and I prefer the Guild neck width and finish to my Ric 330 (I couldn't be without a Ric, though).

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
You guys got it all over me with your experience and amps.
I've got a Line 6 POD and if I can't find it in there I ain't ever gonna find it.
Benee Wafers

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find mine either Benee. I use an old cheerleader's megaphone on a tripod.

West

andrew

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and I'm just catching up! I've had Hiwatt 50 watters, 100 watters, 30 watters---- vox ac30's----- MatchlessDC30--- preamp combonations---mutations..... a few naesuations....after 40years a tube Risson LTA120: fits my style of playing which is clean sustain with an edge of breakup. Add a modded Tubescreamer and a good Fuzzface+wah it's all I need. I use it with a Kendrick Blackface 12". For the Guild Starfire 12 an Acoustic 135 four 10" and a JangleBox compressor (if I feel like hauling it around). For my Guild-Maderia strat my Champ clone with two 6V6 in parallel and a few Trainwreck mods is pretty swell too. Thanks, I love this site.