Guild sighting - vintage Buffalo Springfield

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's the notorious Hollywood Palace "For What It's Worth/Mr. Soul" medley.
Why "notorious"?
From Wiki:
"The band moved back and forth between recording sessions and live appearances on both coasts. A number of different bassists were used, such as Mike Barnes and Jim Fielder of The Mothers of Invention. In one instance – a live performance on the television show Hollywood Palace – Springfield's road manager, who couldn't play bass, held a bass with his back to the camera while the band mimed to a prerecorded track"

Why the bassist round-robins?
"In January 1967, the group took an advance from the record company and flew to New York to perform at Ondine's, a club where The Doors would also play. It was at this time that Palmer was first arrested for possession of marijuana and summarily deported back to Canada."

bobouz

Reaction score
Does that ever bring back memories.

I was a serious fan of Buffalo Springfield back in the day, and many of the spin off connections that came along after they broke up.

Sounds just as good in 2017 as it did back then!

Mark WW

Reaction score
Stills loved his Hollow Bodies. He was and to some extent still is one of my favorite guitar players. Gretsch & Guild playing helped a lot!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah that's the notorious Hollywood Palace "For What It's Worth/Mr. Soul" medley.
Why "notorious"?
From Wiki:
"The band moved back and forth between recording sessions and live appearances on both coasts. A number of different bassists were used, such as Mike Barnes and Jim Fielder of The Mothers of Invention. In one instance – a live performance on the television show Hollywood Palace – Springfield's road manager, who couldn't play bass, held a bass with his back to the camera while the band mimed to a prerecorded track"

Why the bassist round-robins?
"In January 1967, the group took an advance from the record company and flew to New York to perform at Ondine's, a club where The Doors would also play. It was at this time that Palmer was first arrested for possession of marijuana and summarily deported back to Canada."

Why is it always the bass player?

The "choreography" in that clip is pretty funny especially when some of the moves are not compatible with actually playing guitar.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
'Cause they're not playin' with a full set, so to speak?
(ducks and covers)

Set of what? Strings? 6 vs. 4? OK. But mine are longer and thicker. And my truss rod is bigger, too.

Actually I have learned to embrace the idea that the bassist is often the worst guitar player in the band, because if they weren't then they'd be playing guitar.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Y

Also, I was born on the 16th of that month. We can ponder and debate which event was more important from a historical perspective later...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Set of what? Strings? 6 vs. 4? OK. But mine are longer and thicker. And my truss rod is bigger, too.
WHY does it always have to be about size?
Actually I have learned to embrace the idea that the bassist is often the worst guitar player in the band, because if they weren't then they'd be playing guitar.
Ok coming back in your defense I'll trot out that old chestnut about the bass player I knew who was a better guitarist than most folks I know, and that Noel Redding was guitarist who accepted a bass-player role for the sake of the job, and that Ronnie Wood did the same for Jeff Beck in the original Jeff Beck Group, before going back to guitar with Faces and the Rolling Stones.
Apparently even Hendrix needed to "scratch the itch" sometimes, maybe it was the Casady influence:
4f20a2d80673101011cd5c8ca0b913ce.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And - Jimmy Page played bass in The Yardbirds at first, mainly to get into the band. Didn't last too long before he was on guitar. And in Andy Summers' bio,, he talks about jamming on guitar with Hendrix while Hendrix played bass. After a while, Hendrix said "Can I
play guitar now?", and they swapped. Summers says he still can't believe it happened...

walrus

gilded

Reaction score
Is that when Keith invented 3-string Open Tuning for Bass???????

Just kidding.......