Repair shop sign

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
This sign used to hang in our shop: (with apologies to our German friends)

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
R3u3Ses.png
[/FONT]

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually, it's making fun of non-technical types.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My Mom's part - her maiden name was Hineline.

DThomasC

Reaction score
Actually, it's making fun of non-technical types.

Except that it's exploiting a stereotype to do it. Suppose the poster used some stereotypical female behavior as a vehicle for the humor. That would cause most of the women that I've had the responsibility of keeping happy to make my job more difficult.

Ooops! Did I just make a sexist joke?

Never mind... I'll go google "politically correct" and try to figure out where I'm going wrong.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...with apologies to our German friends
Oh no worries! We are far less polite here in Europe! (Think Nuuska's jokes from Finland). In any case the sign is almost unreadable for a German...

...her maiden name was Hineline.
Which is the Americanized spelling of German "Heinlein". Heinlein seems to come from the given name Heinrich and Heinlein means like "little Hein(rich)".

Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Which is the Americanized spelling of German "Heinlein". Heinlein seems to come from the given name Heinrich and Heinlein means like "little Hein(rich)".
Ralf

I was wondering about that since I only ever saw the original spelling, in fact one of my favorite authors was ("is"?) rather well-known here in the US:
0e629c4d6f8b058b07a4ff252b86610d.jpg

DSCN0699-1.jpg

51QidGF55ML._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
American Components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! LOL.

TX

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sorry for the veer all but I remember growing up as a kid, the words "Made In Japan" were synonymous with junk and low quality. Don't know if it was ever actually true but if so, those folks turned things around pretty well I do believe.

gilded

Reaction score
I loved Robert Heinlein novels when I was a kid. Can anyone tell me how to pronounce his last name?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember seeing that sign as far back as the 70s.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the veer all but I remember growing up as a kid, the words "Made In Japan" were synonymous with junk and low quality. Don't know if it was ever actually true
It was in the beginning, because all they could make for export was cheap toys.
serve_image.php

Note that was a venerable old US Marx Bros. product, "MIJ".
but if so, those folks turned things around pretty well I do believe.
Yeah it started with the cameras, then the stereo gear, then they finally struck a home run with the cars.
subaru360-045.jpg

Well, after a couple of false starts, anyways.

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh no worries! We are far less polite here in Europe! (Think Nuuska's jokes from Finland). . . . Ralf

Jawohl - und dazu bin ich auch besonders vorsichtig damit - welche lässige Sachen man hätte - aber nicht sagen kann.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann - darüber muss man schweigen. . .

Because German and English are almost equal languages from Finnish point on view - I leave the translation task to reader - who can naturally opt Google Translator.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It was in the beginning, because all they could make for export was cheap toys.

Yeah it started with the cameras, then the stereo gear, then they finally struck a home run with the cars.
subaru360-045.jpg

Well, after a couple of false starts, anyways.

I disagree with "all they could make" - because the same situation exists today with some stuff from China, Korea etc - BUT it is NOT because China, Korea etc could not produce better quality. It is because OUR greedy businesmen order stuff at lowest possible cost to sell it to us at max profit.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I disagree with "all they could make" - because the same situation exists today with some stuff from China, Korea etc
That's why I qualified the statement with "for export".
In 1963 Japan (like Germany) was a special case because the US had perceived a potential threat of return of the aggressive nationalist expansion politics that led 'em into WWII.
The US maintained pretty strong presence but also helped rebuild their industrial production/economies when they wisely realized the benefits of healthy economies in those countries.
But by the late '50's the subsidies were coming to an end.
Their steel industry was weak and the US didn't allow 'em to have an industry capable of heavy weapons production, so other than ship-building they had no heavy industry and in '63 this kind of manufacturing was the only way they could begin building markets in the US.
They WANTED this business.
From "the usual source":
"The United States' occupation of Japan (1945–52) resulted in the rebuilding of the nation and the creation of a democratic nation. US assistance totaled about US$1.9 billion during the occupation, or about 15% of the nation's imports and 4% of GNP in that period. About 59% of this aid was in the form of food, 15% in industrial materials, and 12% in transportation equipment. US grant assistance, however, tapered off quickly in the mid-1950s. US military procurement from Japan peaked at a level equivalent to 7% of Japan's GNP in 1953 and fell below 1% after 1960. A variety of United States-sponsored measures during the occupation, such as land reform, contributed to the economy's later performance by increasing competition. In particular, the post-war purge of industrial leaders allowed new talent to rise in the management of the nation's rebuilt industries. Finally, the economy benefited from foreign trade because it was able to expand exports rapidly enough to pay for imports of equipment and technology without falling into debt, as had a number of developing nations in the 1980s.[12]

A 2018 study, using the synthetic control method whereby Japan is compared to "synthetic Japan" (a combination of which are similar to Japan but without the US alliance), found that the US alliance allowed Japan's GDP to"grow much faster" from 1958-68".[13]

And that's precisely the period in which the "Made in Japan" myth lived and died.

EDIT:
Note I have no argument with this proposition:
It is because OUR greedy businessmen order stuff at lowest possible cost to sell it to us at max profit.
But the circumstances enabling it today with China and Korea are different than the circumstances that existed between the US and Japan back then, that's all.
:tranquillity:

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Then W. Edwards Deming brought his manufacturing philosophy to Japan after being rejected in the U.S. The rest is history.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiWmt_qqqvjAhUPac0KHYxnB78QFjANegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdeming.org%2Fdeming%2Fdeming-the-man&usg=AOvVaw1v2GM1Oiq8qSfMQJJEBmoD[/FONT]