Guild X-79. To restore or not to restore, that is the question.

Reaction score
Way back when, I bought a Guild X-79 (pre-Skyhawk?) and still have it. It's seen better days . The finish is has yellowed, sorry "aged" significantly and the is paint chipping off of various corners.

I have 2 questions if anyone has the time.

1. Is it worth restoring if I wanted to preserve it's value? It would need to be completely refinished and a re-fret as the frets a fairly worn.
2. Is there a better serial number look up than the PDF that Guild has? This serial number is not on it. I can remember if I bought it in '79 or 80. I don't think it was '81

1yIHz

Yvsfn

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

The best serial number source is author and LTG member Hans Moust. You can post the serial number here and he will probably see it or you can contact him through his website, That said, he has explained enough of the errors in published sources that other people can often guess correctly. I guess I'm saying if you post it we can probably help.

What do you think is the "value" you are preserving? A quick search suggests prices from $500 to $1500. If you are at the low end already, my uninformed and worth what you paid for it opinion is that with a refin and refret you'll still be in the low end. Maybe $100 more after the work?

It might be worth talking about the finish. A refin is almost certainly going to keep you in the low end of the price range as long as the market is collectors and not players. But a yellowing finish is not going to lower the price. Most people consider it mojo or verification of the vintageness. Similarly a few dings in places where people might expect dings is not going to hurt value. So leaving it alone might be the value preserving strategy as far as the finish goes. I'd like to see pics but if you could match the current color, a little touch up paint might be the way to go.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
FTmD31o.jpg

If you're selling I may be interested. I've been looking specifically for a dual-humbucker X79 to compare to my X79-3.

As someone who hunts continuously for Guilds, when it comes to value my opinion is that it really depends. IIRC, the X79 was pretty common unlike some of the other models (I could be wrong here and I'm too lazy to look it up right now) so I don't think the model itself is rare.

As a buyer/collector a refin would lower the value significantly, especially since green is not a color I see on X79s too often. A refret wouldn't too much because that's kind of expected wear. The case in good condition is a huge plus to me.

I can also say, judging solely from this picture, that the finish is not too bad. Most of the X79s I see are an absolute mess with major chunks of the finish missing and the pointy bits often missing large pieces. These guitars were often well played and the finish didn't hold up well - especially on the very popular candy apple red. Here's what the neck looks like on mine as an example. I see similar wear on most of the ones I see for sale. If yours isn't this bad I would leave it be unless it's got issues that affect its playability. It really depends on what kind of issues there are, though.

Guild-1982-X79-3-Neck.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
1. Is it worth restoring if I wanted to preserve it's value? It would need to be completely refinished and a re-fret as the frets a fairly worn.

HI Lantrick, welcome aboard, and just FYI, GAD really knows his stuff when it comes to these "shredder era" Guilds.
Check out his site from the link in his signature.
:friendly_wink:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That’s very cool that it started out blue.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
If this is the original blue, then I agree that the green is so much cooler - especially because of the cause.

X79-Ad-Fixed.jpg

Reaction score
If this is the original blue, then I agree that the green is so much cooler - especially because of the cause.

Yes it was originally blue. I'm guessing the clear coat was nitrocellulose based , since it yellowed so much. The original blue can be seen in the margins anywhere the paint has chipped off.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

Yes it was originally blue. I'm guessing the clear coat was nitrocellulose based , since it yellowed so much. The original blue can be seen in the margins anywhere the paint has chipped off.

I'm excited to see more!

FWIW some poly can fade yellow, too.

peashooterjw

Reaction score
I have a Fender Mustang that changed from blue to green exactly like that. My friend at the guitar shop and I were convinced I had a one of a kind green Mustang... until I took the pickguard off. Oh, to be young and stupid again... instead of just stupid.

Reaction score
Another question, does anyone know how many of these were made with the classic Guild head stock? I've never seen one with a Serial number higher than AD1000200. That would be >200.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
When it comes to questions like “how many” Only Hans knows for sure, though he may be tight lipped about it if that’s new book material.