NGD Carlo Greco "Guild Influenced" 18" Hand Made Jumbo

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who took part in the guessing game a week or so ago!

Well here she is! This may not be a Guild on the headstock but she definitely has some serious Guild DNA in her lineage. This is a 1978 18” lower bout Spruce and Rosewood Jumbo Hand made and signed by Carlo Greco himself.

For those who are unfamiliar with Mr. Greco’s work, he was one of the few Masters of Guitar Building in many people’s eyes often mentioned in the same group as John D’Angelico and Jimmy D’Aquisto. He was also a huge part of the design and construction of Guild guitars in the 60’s and 70’s including many rare and special models such as “The Merle Travis” model, The F612, and the Guild Mark VII as well as many others. Mr. Greco left Guild in 1977 and began building his own Hand made masterpieces for famous artists and regular folks alike in between repairing guitars which was one of his passions. Mr. Greco Passed Away in 2015 leaving behind a legacy of Craftsmanship and some of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen.

Now back to this old Girl. The attention to detail on this one is second to none. Every time I look at it I see something new that I missed before. You can see the Checkerboard Binding and rosette as well as “Train Tracks” on the fret board itself that relate back to the Guild Merle Travis Model and the F612. This guitar’s dimensions are pretty much the same as my F612 sharing the 18” lower bout and 26.25” scale length. The Star Fretboard and bridge inlays are gorgeous and precise with the first fret inlay actually being made up of 10 different pieces on Mother of pearl giving it a 3D effect when looked at closely. The Truss Rod cover is just beautifully done along with the Headstock Faceplate inlays. Using the word “Intricate” would be an understatement when describing the inlay work and craftsmanship on this guitar.

The woods used on this guitar are just amazing. I have never seen such a tightly grained spruce top before and the Ebony used on the fret board and bridge are smooth as silk. The Rosewood on the back and sides is very tightly grained with wonderful red hues and almost Black lines. The headstock is topped of with a set of Grover USA Gold Plated Imperial Tuners. The neck appears to be a 3 piece Hog/Maple/Hog configuration but I could be wrong on the woods.

Now for the tone of this Monster. This guitar has a Bell Like quality to it that you would have to hear to believe. I will try and get some audio samples of it up for everyone to hear but things are kind of hectic around here right now so it may take a while. The tone from this guitar is the closest I have ever heard to a 100 year old Grand Piano and that includes taking into consideration the few Brazilian RW Guitars I own. It is Rich and Crystal Clear with a projection I have never heard before out of a 6 string. You want to talk about low end? Even in standard tuning with light gauge strings on it, when you hit a low “E” chord It sounds like the guy in the theme song for “2001 a Space Odyssey” is hitting the Kettle Drums or Timpani right behind your head. It has that much punch to it! When describing the tone of my F612 the easiest way to put it into terms is that it sounds like 2 F512’s being played in stereo. I would have to say that the tone of this Greco sounds like 2 F50R’s being played in stereo, No kidding! There is also an added plus that this guitar already has a K&K 3 transducer pickup installed in it. Inside the guitar on the underside of the top it is hand singed by Carlo himself giving the month, year, and location of the build along with his signature.

I have to take the time to thank Richardp69 here on the forum who was gracious enough to let me buy this guitar from him after I passed on it a year ago. Richard is truly a Class Act and I wouldn’t hesitate to do business with him again. I honestly look forward to it in the future. I am sure many of you already know that from dealing with him in the past. He is definitely on my short list of folks that I trust in the guitar world.

While this guitar is Amazing already, To me it is also a work of art and a testament to one man’s vision of what a guitar should be. A snapshot so to say of a time when quality mattered and “Good Enough to Get By” wasn’t Good enough. Like any 40 year old guitar of this size she does need a few things done to ensure it will be playable as well as preserved for years to come. I have already sat down with my Master Luthier and (after a good bit of fondling the guitar on his part, LOL,) we have a list of small things to address that will ensure this guitar continues to exude excellence in all aspects for years to come without compromising the integrity of what Mr. Greco put his heart and soul into so many years ago. I consider it a privilege and honor to care for and play this amazing instrument for years to come. Also thanks to “Guitar Jedi Hans Moust” for the photo of the inside signature and date before the guitar ever arrived in shipping! I’m serious about that Guitar Jedi stuff!

Now on to the Photos!

NTVoD4.jpg
Xq3xz3.jpg
dRhPwM.jpg
9IjvIh.jpg
aCy685.jpg
9HFeT6.jpg
oi4M4E.jpg
kILvyy.jpg

TX

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Speechless. Every part of that has something unique. The fretboard bling is wild! Beautiful! Congratulations!

walrus

Reaction score
Congrats!! That's an incredible looking guitar. I would get goose bumps holding it and knowing that Carlo was the builder. It would be interesting to know who the owners were through the years.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Words fail me, and in the best way possible. That is a truly magnificent instrument.

I cannot wait to hear what it sounds like.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well HOLY CRAP!!! For once in my life, I'm STUNNED into silence. What an amazing instrument and incredible piece of history. I'm super glad you're the custodian of this phenomenal guitar!! Congratulations, Tx!!! :encouragement:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
That guitar just oozes "Texas" from its pores. Seriously nice score!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I am going to bow toward Texas once a day until 2018 in honor of an undescribable guitar. So glad you got it!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I had the privilege of speaking with Mr. Greco on the phone once......and trying to understand him. He had a very heavy Italian accent, but a very nice man with a real fondness for Guild. I wish I could see the pictures, but they won't work for me. Our deceased member "California" (RIP) and I actually met online as we were both eBay bidding on the same guitar....a "Greco". David won the auction and I wrote him via ebay message (you could do that back then). After discovering David was an LTG member we met in Arlington and became pretty close in a very short time, always staying in touch. I never saw his Greco guitar, but I credit that Carlo Greco guitar for bringing us together. I'm sure it's a cool guitar Tx.

West

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
literally belongs in a museum. glad it found one!

seriously though, that looks like a couple guits I've seen in a famous museum in Boston. One was an older D'angelico New Yorker. congrats Tex, she is beautiful.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies. Every time I go to pick her up to play for a bit I get that feeling in my stomach like I did as a kid while riding my first roller coaster, LOL! West, Sorry you can't see the photos, PM me your email and I will try to send you a few pics. By the way just for common knowledge, I do not plan on doing anything with the finish on the guitar as I feel that would take away from the character of it. She is definitely worthy of being a museum piece but I think that would be such a waste. This old Girl deserves to be out in the open breathing fresh air and making lots of noise. I don't think she would be happy any other way, especially sitting silent behind a pane of glass on display. When I get a chance in the next week I am going to get all of my Jumbos together for a "Jumbo Family Photo". Might have to find a panoramic camera to pull that off, LOL. I'll make sure and post a copy of it when I do.

TX

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Beautiful Guitar! Congratulations on a very cool acquisition. I have a question... on an 18" Jumbo build like that, did Carlo Greco use a modified bracing system? Sometimes Jumbos employ a "Double X" bracing pattern; three "tone bars" instead of two; or the "tone bars" are placed transversely (ladder-braced style) across the lower bout to soften the "rumble" in the bass notes. It may be time to get out the inspection mirror! :eek:nthego:

Bill

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, that is one incredible guitar! Congrats, TX!