Label penmanship on Tacoma Guilds

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Penmanship on my Westerley DV52 is legible and that is all that is important, really, but the Tacoma penmanship is so clean and clear. I am thinking if Guild pays that much attention to labels the guitar has to be as near flawless as they could possibly make it. Strike anyone else in such a positive way?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:) Hah, Stu. You should see some of the old Westerly labels. :)

It's actually a little silly that they didn't pay more attention to the labels back in the day. These days, though, since (sadly) there's no neck-branded serial number, the label is all-important.

Last edited:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Help Wanted: Good penmanship a must. Must be willing to spend hours sitting or standing. Must be able to withstand sticky surfaces. If monotony is 'your thing'...we are interested in YOU.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure about the penmanship correlation, but if you can find a Tacoma-built D-50, buy it! Best sounding Guild I ever played in Elderly's showroom. It sounded pretty much exactly like my DV-52, so I wasn't inclined to buy it, was listed new at about $1,500 at the time.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
:) Hah, Stu. You should see some of the old Westerly labels. :)

It's actually a little silly that they didn't pay more attention to the labels back in the day. These days, though, since (sadly) there's no neck-branded serial number, the label is all-important.

The label in the Hoboken F30 I just got looks like it was written by my grandmother while she was jotting a note to get eggs from the grocery store. One of the things that adds character to our Guilds...I like the quirkiness.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I used to joke that the most often used line in the labeling department at Westerly was, "Does anybody have a pen?" All different colors and styles of pens were used and sometimes deciphering what they said was a real challenge. One exception at Westerly was my limited edition D65S from 1994. All 20 labels are the same and written so cleanly and carefully with the (at that time) owner of the company's signature. Best labels EVER!!

labeljq.jpg

tommym

Reaction score
Don't get me started on the penmanship on the Guild labels....

Some guitar makers put great pride in the penmanship on their labels, others could care less.

I still have busted knuckles from the nuns that disapproved of the lack of quality of my penmanship in gradeschool. So, I am keenly aware of the penmanship of others.

Tommy

F312

Reaction score
Is there a reason why Guild has chosen not to put the serial number on the back of the headstock? When did it stop? Someone's decision I'm sure, "WRONG"!

Ralph

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And I agree with Ralph that discontinuation of the serial number stamping was a BAD idea. Labels are much easier to fake and tamper with. Or to lose altogether!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I finally learned some decent printing penmanship in drafting class (used to be called mechanical drawing.) With AutoCAD, that's a lost art.

F312

Reaction score
And I agree with Ralph that discontinuation of the serial number stamping was a BAD idea. Labels are much easier to fake and tamper with. Or to lose altogether!

Can it come back like Coke came back?

Ralph

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I used to joke that the most often used line in the labeling department at Westerly was, "Does anybody have a pen?"

LOL ...and that was probably the only requirement to fill the position of company scribe!

I was once on jury duty in civil court here in Virginia. At the time, I was a project manager at a Land Surveying and Engineering Firm. I was in the habit of carrying a pen and mechanical pencil in my shirt pocket (matching set). When we retired to the jury room, I was elected Foreman because I had a pen and pencil in my pocket! True story!

Bill

tommym

Reaction score
Which improved the legibility of said penmanship immensely, I'm sure.

:playful:

Yep, it sure did......those all day Saturday and Sunday writing sessions with Attila the Nun are still fresh in my memory. On the other hand, the Head Penguin was a very nice nun. So it wasn't all bad news.

Tommy

tommym

Reaction score
I finally learned some decent printing penmanship in drafting class (used to be called mechanical drawing.) With AutoCAD, that's a lost art.

FYI....AutoCAD is becoming a lost art too! Not to many AutoCAD users left in our company.

Tommy

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Penmanship on my Westerley DV52 is legible and that is all that is important, really, but the Tacoma penmanship is so clean and clear. I am thinking if Guild pays that much attention to labels the guitar has to be as near flawless as they could possibly make it. Strike anyone else in such a positive way?

I've probably seen more Guild labels than the average guy and I believe I can say that for the most part it's not too hard for me to figure out what's written on labels even when the penmanship is not all that great.

As someone who still writes letters (and sends them out ..... stamps and all) and who loves to get written letters back, I can appreciate good penmanship.

I too noticed that the writing on Tacoma labels is usually quite clear; not really nicely written, but easy to read. However, I've seen a few that made me wonder why they let the person, who wrote up the following example, anywhere near a label; or a pen for that matter!

D50BGSpecial_label.jpg

......... and what happened to the double-S at the end of BlueGrass?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
......... and what happened to the double-S at the end of BlueGrass?

When I first read that label, I thought it said:

D 50
Blue Eyes
Special

As in "Judy Blue Eyes". I thought it might be a model that I hadn't heard of before. :highly_amused:

sailin'shoes

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
that would be the blue "mardi gras" model. great for parties; very rare!